We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bicycle license

Level Contributor
2 posts
25 reviews
bicycle license

Do i need to purchase a bike license for my bike?

4 replies to this topic
Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
5,286 posts
262 reviews
1. Re: bicycle license

A temporary license fee is included in the charge you pay the ferry for the bicycle.

Level Contributor
2 posts
25 reviews
2. Re: bicycle license

Thanks for the info. Since I have NO kickstand and I read it is illegal to chain your bike to a light pole and trees too I presume? Are there plenty of bike racks to lock up to or into ? Do I have to prepare the bike for transport or ride on and off the ferry? thanks again.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
5,286 posts
262 reviews
3. Re: bicycle license

There are bike racks at most attractions, but for the most part, not along the main street.

Most bikes (including all of the rentals) are not locked and bicycle theft is rare. Somewhat more common (but still rare) is bicycles being borrowed when people leave the bars at night. Recently a couple of Michigan State Police detectives were even charged with that.

Most hotels do not permit bicycles in the rooms, but provide a place for parking them.

The ferry crew will roll your bike on and off the boat.

Edited: 06 July 2018, 22:18
Waterford, MI
Level Contributor
3 posts
24 reviews
4. Re: bicycle license

YES. You will buy it when you take your bike on the ferry. I believe this is more about making sure bikes are not stolen on the island and brought back to the mainland. However, SAVE YOUR RECEIPT! I paid $11 for a bike "license" and they put a purple wrist band on my bike. It was raining that day. I lost my purple band.. it came unglued? Fell off? I have no clue. I happened to save my receipt and was able to prove I had indeed purchased the "license". Enjoy the island it is beautiful! <3 Stop at Crazy Horse on Mackinac Island.. they feature items made in Michigan by local artists at affordable prices! Why buy a "Made in China" Souvenir when you are visiting Michigan.. buy a Made in Michigan Souvenir! :)

Reply to: bicycle license
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mackinac Island