We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

German visitor crossing the border to Canada

Kaarst, Germany
Level Contributor
121 posts
71 reviews
German visitor crossing the border to Canada

Hi,

I understand I can cross the border to Windsor by tunnel or bridge. Do they check and stamp all papers for exiting US and entering CA? How much time might this take on a wednesday morning? I am aware that traffic is usually unpredictable, so I need just a estimate time Frame. Maybe it is better to go before or after a certain hour?

Is there any reason for prefering bridge versus tunnel? Any cost for using them?Thanks for any information

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
7,233 posts
1. Re: German visitor crossing the border to Canada

The US does not have outbound immigration/customs check, so your first interaction will be on the Canadian side. They typically do not stamp US passports, but I am not sure if they would a German passport. It might be a good idea to ask them to if they don't automatically - that way you have a record of exiting the US.

Bridge vs. tunnel really depends on your origin and destination. The tunnel is much more convenient to both downtown Detroit and downtown Windsor. The bridge is a couple miles downriver and connects I-75/I-96 to the 401 highway (eventually - after a slow trip down Huron Church road). The bridge also carries a massive amount of truck traffic. It can take anywhere from 10 minutes to over an hour. You can check the backups in real time here: https://bwt.cbp.gov/

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
2,494 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: German visitor crossing the border to Canada

While the above has been true for the last 40-plus years I have been crossing to Windsor, yesterday I encountered a group of CBP agents checking outbound folks at the tunnel. They checked ID and asked how much cash I had and if I was carrying any firearms. It took only a minute, but be aware, there may be a quick check.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
7,233 posts
3. Re: German visitor crossing the border to Canada

I knew that was possible but didn't think it was being done often, so I didn't bother mentioning it. Where exactly were they stopping you - before or after the toll gates? Not much room to operate there.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
2,494 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: German visitor crossing the border to Canada

Yes, it was before the tollbooth.

5. Re: German visitor crossing the border to Canada

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 January 2017, 05:17