We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Henry Ford visit

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Henry Ford visit

We bought all access tickets - museum, factory and Greenfield Village. How would you recommend to spend two full days and maximize our time to best see it all (most)? The HF associate recommended museum and factory one day and the village and giant screen on the other day. Which one should we do first? Some reviews also suggest the Rouge tour first thing in the morning.

Visiting week days, family with two kids - 10 and 7.

Thank you.

Manistique, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Manistique, Curtis
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Henry Ford visit

I would make a plan that includes what the weather will be. I would do Greenfield Village when the weather was the best during your stay.

Peachtree City...
Level Contributor
1,423 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Henry Ford visit

I just spent a whole day at Greenfield/Museum with my 10 & 8 year-olds. Knowing that you have two days, I'd recommend splitting those activities up because we couldn't see everything we wanted (though we came close).

For us it was a sunny 95-degree day, so we hit GV up at 9:30 and were there until 2. And we don't move at a slow pace but even still we didn't get to the farm area - there's a lot to see and we were interested in all of it. We had lunch at Michigan Cafe from 2-2:30 and spent the rest of the time in the museum where we had enough time to explore the history/Dymaxion House areas in depth and took the car areas at a bit of a brisk walking pace. The Beatles thing took about 45 minutes, not critical if you aren't a big fan but nice if you are.

I just throw all this out as my experience and since your kids are essentially the same age it might be helpful. We certainly loved our day!

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
34 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Henry Ford visit

Can I tag on here to ask about recommended lodgings nearby? We are visiting at the end of August. Where available we prefer bed and breakfast option. We are without the kids.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Henry Ford visit

Hi, we stayed at the newly opened Holiday Inn Express on Michigan Ave. Loved the hotel, you can get a better fare online with 7 day advanced res., I think.

Northern Michigan
Destination Expert
for Petoskey, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,291 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Henry Ford visit

Which show do you want to see on the giant screen? If you're cool with one of the later afternoon shows, I'd plan on doing it then. We can easily spend an entire day in GV, aside from just "seeing" everything, there's tons to do...hands on exhibits, arts/crafts projects, shows, entertainment, etc. take time for a leisurely lunch at eagle tavern, it's a cool experience and the food is great...much better and not much more expensive than the standard overpriced cafeteria fair available elsewhere in the park.

My family's plan would be to do GV all day on the nicest day, followed by the latest possible big screen show. Honestly, we find GV so cool, the movie would be an afterthought. The other day, we'd do the factory tour then spend the rest of the day at HF museum.

You're in for a real treat! Just plan more time than you think at GV, there's a lot to do, I'm sure your kids will love it!

6. Re: Henry Ford visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2017, 13:18
Get answers to your questions about Dearborn