We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

April Stay in Cape Cod

Which South Yarmouth hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, England...
5 posts
Save Topic
April Stay in Cape Cod

We're planning a trip to Cape Cod (and Boston) in April (5 adults and 2 kids) and would be grateful for advice on weather, accommodations (preferably a little cottage or villa) and feasibility of going to Martha's Vinyard and Nantucket for day trips.

10 replies to this topic
Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,510 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: April Stay in Cape Cod

How long in Boston and how long on the Cape? Do you want a hotel in Boston and a house/cottage on the Cape? April is not beach/swimming weather of course although could be fine for walking the beaches even if very cold and windy. Rentals are usually for periods of at least a week, Saturday to Saturday although out of season may be more flexible. Take a look at www.weneedavacation.com or contact any real estate agency. Can't help with hotels but you could check the tons of info on the Boston forum.

Certainly possible to take day trips to MV and Nantucket but weather is a factor.

Edited: 29 September 2011, 16:27
London, England...
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: April Stay in Cape Cod

Thanks for your input. We're thinking a week on the Cod and a few days in Boston (husband running the marathon).

Will review website suggestion.

Thanks!

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
12,580 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: April Stay in Cape Cod

If your budget would support renting a villa or getting rooms in the mansion then check out Ocean Edge in Brewster. Similarly get a waterfront cottage at Chatham Bars Inn. Both of these will give you more on site facilities and activity options especially for the kids and for dining if the weather is inclement because April is not known for vacation travel.

London, England...
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: April Stay in Cape Cod

Thanks for your words of wisdom! Will check out both options!

Houston, Texas
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: April Stay in Cape Cod

FourTravelBug - any luck w/ your search? I too am running the Boston marathon and am looking for someplace to stay in the Cape area after the race.

Curious to hear what you may have come up with. Bit concerned about how enjoyable this segment of the trip will be, though, given the time of year.

Edited: 08 January 2012, 03:31
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: April Stay in Cape Cod

Hi, you could have decent weather on the Cape in April or not. One thing to be aware of is that the week of the Marathon is school vacation week in Massachusetts & some places on the Cape will have lodging specials.

London, England...
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: April Stay in Cape Cod

Our trip is fully planned out at this stage! We're staying on the Cape at a place called Sea Crest Oceanfront Resort in North Falmouth. As it's not high season, we were able to find reasonably priced rooms and the hotel (relatively modest but on the ocean front) is just what we need.

In Boston, the best deal we found (value vs cost) was the Sheraton Boston. Again, their prices were reasonable as compared to location in the city.

We decided that we could not rely or even hope for good weather and tried to plan accordingly. Walks on the beach no matter what the weather will bring a lot of joy to the children, plus a day's outing to the more famous little islands of the Cape are most definitely in the plans (and for those, the weather doesn't have to be perfect!).

Let me know how you're getting on with your planning to compare notes!

Thanks.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
12,580 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: April Stay in Cape Cod

I am a big fan of locating ON the beach and Sea Crest is right on the warmest water on the Cape, is located in a 'year-round' town (Falmouth) which will be more lively than other areas at that time of year and is handy both to Boston and to making an easy day trip to Martha's Vineyard either out of Falmouth or Woods Hole.

Sea Crest has not been top of mind for quite a while due to significant decline. We visited the property and Old Silver Beach a few years ago, had lunch and a tour and I wouldn't dream of recommending it but now they are finishing up renovations which are not yet complete per their website but booking a renovated room is a safe bet.

Congratulations to the OP for this selection. I think you'll enjoy your stay and enjoy Falmouth/Woods Hole. Be sure to visit nearby Sandwich too, the oldest town on the Cape.

London, England...
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: April Stay in Cape Cod

CapeCodCharlie: thanks very much for your input! I knew the hotel was being renovated but was under the impression (as per the website!) that it was finished! So thanks a lot for this and the other information - most appreciated!

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
12,580 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: April Stay in Cape Cod

FourTravelBug, for last season one could book unrenovated rooms at a discount. I don't see that option anymore but if there are any of those rooms remaining they should be avoided. However the website does state that the indoor pool, which your kids might enjoy, and the fitness room will not be ready until May and I know you will be there in April. Did you see that? However they also state that they will give you a free day pass to another facility. Even though you'll have to drive to it I guess that is better than nothing.

You have a chance to have some lovely and sunny weather and I hope that happens for you.

Reply to: April Stay in Cape Cod
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about South Yarmouth