We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just Engaged! Romantic Weekend - What to See/Do & Stay?

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
109 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Just Engaged! Romantic Weekend - What to See/Do & Stay?

Hi there! I've posted this on a few MA sections hoping to get some cheerful replies :)

We just got engaged (!!) and we're looking to celebrate in the Upper New England area. We'd be going for five days (end of June until the end of 4th of July Weekend). I've been looking at Rockport and Gloucester, and since they are so close we'll visit both, but need to pick a "home base".

I'm not sure which will be more "touristy" (does it get unpleasantly crowded at that time?), but the idea is to have a romantic time together, visit a few things (any suggestions?) and go to the beach. We're hoping to spend less than $120 a night so that we can splurge on some good restaurants.

What do you think? What should we do/see, and where should we stay as a "home base"?

Thank you so much!

Mentioned in this post
New England
New England
United States
Gloucester
Gloucester
Cape Ann, MA
Rockport...
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Just Engaged! Romantic Weekend - What to See/Do & Stay?

Catherine & Alex,Congratulations! I live in Rockport Ma.Cape Ann is a beautiful place during the time you will be visiting,however,lots of other people think so too,so it gets pretty crowded around here come summer.I usually tell people to come during September,when there are less tourists.Visiting during the week is also less crowded.In Gloucester,during the last week of June is the St Peters' Fiesta.This is a weeklong celebration,that honors St Peter,the saint of fishermen.There is music and boat races,food,partying and the blessing of the fleet,topped off with fireworks on Sunday night.Rockport celebrates 4th of July in an old fashioned way,with a hometown parade,ending at the beach with a huge bonfire and music from the bandstand with hotdogs and every neighbor you havn't seen in years.Rockport has no bars or liquor stores,but Gloucester has restaurants,bars and pubs with entertainment at night.The last few years Gloucester has had free concerts with local bands on the waterfront downtown,preceeded by a farmers market every thurday during the summer.Lots of great beaches in both towns.I love both places,but Gloucester is a small city,and Rockort is a small town,so its a perssonal preferance.As far as dining.My advice is stick to the smal Mom & Pop joints,and stay away from the big places with bus tours.We dont eat there,and you shouldn't either.Sorry to my local peeps,but true.Have a lovely time,and make sure to ask starngers to take lots of pictures of you both together!You will be glad you did.Best of luck~~~Lauralei

Mentioned in this post
Rockport
Rockport
Cape Ann, MA
Gloucester
Gloucester
Cape Ann, MA
Rockport...
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Just Engaged! Romantic Weekend - What to See/Do & Stay?

Congratulations on your engagement! How about a two hour romantic sunset cruise around Rockport on a 72 foot sailboat? The boat is located at the end of Tuna Wharf in Rockport on Bearskin Neck. That is where the shops and restaurants are. You can contact Pirate Ship Charters at 978-729-2929. Have fun! By the way, you can bring your own champagne, wine, beer, cheese & crackers, etc.

Mentioned in this post
Bearskin Neck
Bearskin Neck
635 Reviews
Rockport, MA
3. Re: Just Engaged! Romantic Weekend - What to See/Do & Stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 December 2010, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Rockport
Recent Conversations