We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to visit in Rockport - 1 day trip?

Boston
Level Contributor
47 posts
Where to visit in Rockport - 1 day trip?

I am planning to go from Boston to Rockport by communter rail. I am wondering where I can visit, is there public transport that can get me to those attractions?

Please give me some suggestions/idead.

thanks.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,762 posts
1 review
1. Re: Where to visit in Rockport - 1 day trip?

What "attractions" do you mean, specifically? Bearskin Neck, the little fishing village turned artist colony, the beach and Rockport Town Center are all within walking distance of the RR Station. Are those what you meant by "attractions"?

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
31 reviews
2. Re: Where to visit in Rockport - 1 day trip?

Walk down to the little downtown and walk around there, visit a couple of the art galleries, go into Toad Hollow bookstore, then take the CAT (Cape Ann Transit) bus to Folly Cove/Halibut Point. At Halibut Point there are wonderful views from a promontory (see to New Hampshire and Maine on a good day), an interesting large granite quarry, and easy hiking and tromping around on the large rocks down at the water. One of my favorite places. At Folly Cove, there's the Lobser Pool, a seafood in the rough place, but it's normally only open from March to October. Don't know if it's closed yet. This makes for an easy afternoon or day.

The CAT will take you over to Gloucester in about 15 minutes, too, if you like.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
6,019 posts
183 reviews
3. Re: Where to visit in Rockport - 1 day trip?

Firewind, am I correct that CATA only offers service Monday - Saturday?

I, too, love Halibut Point!

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
31 reviews
4. Re: Where to visit in Rockport - 1 day trip?

You're right, Route128North. Thank you. And, since I needed to look it up, I thought I'd bring forward this webpage, which is pretty informative about lots of things CATA...

http://www.canntran.com/RoutesSchedules.aspx

By the way, it's funny that Toad Hall Bookstore jumps right out here. Someone must be partial to it, because, as a nonprofit, I can't imagine that they pay for this kind of "advertising".

I bookmarked it, and I think I might use CATA more. So thanks again to travelnew09 and R128N.

5. Re: Where to visit in Rockport - 1 day trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 May 2010, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Rockport
Recent Conversations