We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

So much time, so little to do???

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
20 posts
So much time, so little to do???

My elderly mother and I will be stayng in the vicinity of Newburyport for three days later this week, and I have no idea how to occupy her. I'm flexible; she's not. We will have a rental car. She is not in a wheelchair, but she has limited mobility. She loves boat rides, but it's too early for that. She enjoys seafood, so any recommendations for inexpensive restaurant? Is there somewhere in N.H. that we could visit? I've never been in this sort of predicament. BTW, she goes to Maine for a few days each September, so I asked her what she does there in case it should prompt some local (MA, NH) ideas. She told me while in Maine, she eats at lobster shacks, takes a boat ride, shops at L.L. Bean and rides through Acadia National Park. I'm desperate for some suggestions!

6 replies to this topic
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
26,437 posts
67 reviews
1. Re: So much time, so little to do???

You could drive through parts of Plum Island

Maybe a drive to Stage Fort Park in Gloucester?

While not a"shack", she might enjoy a meal at the Village restaurant n Essex.

Maybe Strawberry Bank in Portsmouth NH? That might be too much walking.

There is always the Peabody Essex museum in Salem. You could borrow a wheelchair for touring there.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
6,011 posts
183 reviews
2. Re: So much time, so little to do???

There are lots of drives you could do. They won't be quite like the scenery in Acadia, but still there are many pretty coastal views. You could take Route 127 around Cape Ann down to Beverly, and then go to Salem as suggested above. You could take Routes 1A and 1B along the NH coast and perhaps go onto York, Maine to the Nubble Lighthouse, which is visible right from the parking lot. How about tea at the Wenham Tea House? Route 1A south from Newburyport to Wenham goes through lovely coastal marsh and then inland through small New England towns. You could also take a drive around Ipswich to look at First Period homes.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
7,227 posts
217 reviews
3. Re: So much time, so little to do???

The Lobster Pool in Rockport for seafood and great water views; Roy Moore's lobster shack on Bearskin Neck in Rockport if it is a warm afternoon as the only seating is outside on the back deck; Woodman's in Essex. The Salem trolley tours are running for the season. The outlets in Kittery, Maine aren't that far away, just over the border from Portsmouth, if she likes shopping.

Edited: 07 April 2015, 12:13
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
20 posts
4. Re: So much time, so little to do???

Thank you so much for these suggestions.

Gloucester...
Level Contributor
9 posts
194 reviews
5. Re: So much time, so little to do???

a lot of the north shore restaurants haven't opened for the season yet or are in the process of doing so. in gloucester i can recommend the causeway for seafood. while not fancy, the food is great, the prices are right and it's where the locals eat. it is BYOB. you can head over to essex for clams and it's also a pleasant drive.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
20 posts
6. Re: So much time, so little to do???

Thank you so much.

Reply to: So much time, so little to do???
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Newburyport