We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in April?

Boston...
8 posts
What to do in April?

I'm looking to book a trip to Newburyport with my boyfriend for the first weekend of April (Easter weekend). What is there to do there so early in the season? Is lobster available? We enjoy beer, sightseeing, anything really! We've travelled in Europe together so we're really down for anything.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,741 posts
1 review
1. Re: What to do in April?

Are you limited to Newburyport? Why did you choose that in the first place? Are you actually from Boston?

Edited: 09 March 2015, 12:14
Boston...
8 posts
2. Re: What to do in April?

I am currently living in Boston so we would take the commuter rail there. Is it a walkable city? Should I try Portsmouth instead?

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,741 posts
1 review
3. Re: What to do in April?

Is this a day trip?

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
7,225 posts
217 reviews
4. Re: What to do in April?

If it is for a whole weekend and you will not have a car, I would suggest the alternative of taking the Downeaster Amtrak train to Portland, Maine. Lots to do there in the Old Port for the weekend without a car.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,215 posts
80 reviews
5. Re: What to do in April?

Newburyport is definitely walkable but there will probably still be a ton of snow everywhere on Easter weekend.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
6,009 posts
183 reviews
6. Re: What to do in April?

From your earlier posts on the Maine Forum, I know that you are also considering Portland for your weekend trip. Like the poster above, I, too, think Portland is the better choice for a weekend visit without a car. Newburyport is a wonderful small city, but I fear that if you hit bad weather, you may not find enough to do indoors especially on Sunday when some places may be closed for Easter. Without a car it will be difficult for you to visit nearby Plum Island and the Parker Wildlife Refuge (in better weather, you could rent bikes, but we'll still face roads narrowed by snow banks in a few weeks). If you decide to go to Newburyport, you will find lobster on many menus, but you probably should make reservations because of the holiday. Here is a link to an article that may help you with Newburyport planning:

bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/…story.html

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,215 posts
80 reviews
7. Re: What to do in April?

Daily mail article about Plum Island a little over the top. Only half the island is in Newburyport and things downtown aren't quite this bad:

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2983505/If-thou…

NH
Level Contributor
601 posts
77 reviews
8. Re: What to do in April?

This same post is listed under Portland, Portsmouth, and Newport. Have you picked a destination yet?

Boston
Level Contributor
4 posts
165 reviews
9. Re: What to do in April?

I agree with the other posts. Portland is a much better option for all of the things you mention. Beer, food, and sightseeing. Early April (and actually early June for that matter) will still be cold in Newburyport. If you are taking the Commuter Rail, the station is outside the city proper and is a long walk to downtown. I frequent Newburyport, and the only thing you'll find there is lots of local restaurants serving average, overpriced food. Newburyport is great for locals who don't want the hassle of driving an hour for a great meal in Boston or Portland, or hop over to Portsmouth (which also has better beer and food than NBPT).

10. Re: What to do in April?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 May 2016, 00:17
Get answers to your questions about Newburyport