We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do.... Friday & Saturday?

Level Contributor
650 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Things to do.... Friday & Saturday?

We will be arriving early evening on a Thursday. Staying at HI Express in Seabrook for 3 nights which appears to be close. BUT will definitely need parking suggestions for NBPort. Tried visiting a few years ago but it ended up being a 'drive thru' as we could never find a place to park. I think it was some type of festival with a band, etc. Online I see metered lots but they mention a 2 or 3 hour limit? Do you just re-pay or must you leave the lot? Are beach areas like Plum Island free or paid at the end of Sept / early Oct?

Would enjoy some suggestions on what to do for the 2 full days (Fri / Sat) we will be in NBPort. Lunch spots? Evening meal? Have also considered a short afternoon road trip to Rockport? Marblehead? or Southern Maine. We would be leaving mid-day on Sunday.

We are seniors that enjoy slower paced activities. Scenic walk... Harbor? Beach? Historical homes, Touristy shopping, not outlet style. Thank you.

10 replies to this topic
Boston...
Level Contributor
21,724 posts
686 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do.... Friday & Saturday?

Newburyport parking info is here: https:/…parking

Click the Paid Parking Info and Map link for all the info you need. Four of their 7 lots are all day lots

Boston
Level Contributor
128 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do.... Friday & Saturday?

We park in one of the lots near the waterfront or by the police station. It's cheap. You can sometimes snag a free spot on a side street but unlikely on a weekend. There is a lovely boardwalk behind the lot. There is a funky antiques and curiosity shop at the end and there is a great Maritme museum.

Have you considered stopping in Portsmouth NH on way to Maine? Very walkable and the garage is $1/hour. Lots of great shops and restaurants. Many have porches out back facing the water for lunch. The Friendly toast is awesome for breakfast. If you like history Strawberry Banke is fantastic and has its own free lot. Prescott park often has something going on.

Boston
Level Contributor
128 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do.... Friday & Saturday?

PS Michaels Harborside is nice for meal in Newburyport.

Rockport is nice especially Bearskin neck area but parking is a nightmare.

Marblehead is also a nice little town but again very limited public parking.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
786 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do.... Friday & Saturday?

I think your idea of going to Marblehead is a good one. Old Town Marblehead ticks all of your boxes..historic homes, beautiful harbor, nice local shops. At the end of September/early October, you should have no trouble finding street parking in Old Town.

Boston
Level Contributor
160 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do.... Friday & Saturday?

We live in town next to Newburyport and avoid town on weekend events. Check the City parking lot info previously provided. It can be tough to find parking if event is going on. The police station lot fills up first as it's easiest to find. Try the parking lot by Blackcow or the other by Oldies marketplace. Both are paid parking meters and both have access to boardwalk and quick walk over to town center and shops. You can find free parking on side streets but will require many loops to find a spot on weekends (I don't have patience or luck). Lots of fun places to eat - Black Cow, Michaels on water with nice views. Or Grog (pub food), Poynt, Ceia, and several others. Check Yelp for recent reviews and menus. There always seems to be something going on in town so check Chamber of Commerce website. Very fun shops to poke through.

Plum Island is a nice quick drive and there are a couple small restaurants that stay open for most of the year. (Check Yelp) Depending on season, you can drive to end and park for free. I do suggest the Parker River reservation and paying small fee and going to first lot...nice view. Or keep going to end and stop off along way but only worth it if you like nature/birds. Lots of birders spend a day doing this.

If you want Lobster, you are close enough in Seabrook to Browns (had recent fire so check site) and Markey's.

Have fun!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
4,719 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to do.... Friday & Saturday?

Parking during a Newburyport day festival can be a challenge, and don't get stuck heading into town on Merrimac Street, as it backs up with others trying to find parking. We take 113 into town, and turn down one of the side streets after State Street, there is limited street parking, but we seldom have to circle around more than once to find something within 2-3 blocks east of State Street.

Haverhill...
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to do.... Friday & Saturday?

You can park on the street for free, and metered parking in the lots.

Level Contributor
650 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Things to do.... Friday & Saturday?

Refresh my memory on all day parking lots.... Price? Can I leave the lot then return using the same 'parking voucher'? Only place I have used similar kiosk parking is in Fla for beach parking of a couple of hours. Can easily see us staying for a few hours, then taking a short trip to Plum Island, then returning to lot. Acceptable or will we need to re-pay? BTW Is there an event this weekend or more of a calm Pre-Columbus Day weekend... fingers-crossed!

Boston...
Level Contributor
21,724 posts
686 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Things to do.... Friday & Saturday?

Prices are all in the link in my prior post

Level Contributor
650 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Things to do.... Friday & Saturday?

I guess I found the info $1 an hour... I even printed the map. Thank you.

Reply to: Things to do.... Friday & Saturday?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Newburyport