We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chappaquiddick Island

Scottish Western...
Level Contributor
80 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Chappaquiddick Island

Sorry to be a goul but I am off to Martha's Vineyard and would like to go and look at Dike bridge over to Chappaquidick Island at the spot now infamous for the Mary-Jo and Teddy Kennedy scandal.

Don't want to offend anyone but please tell me the best way to get there from Oak Bluffs. Can I get a taxi or do the tour buses go there? I just want to take a peek!!

Thank you

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,371 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chappaquiddick Island

From Oak Bluffs you need to go to Edgartown ( 6 miles away, busses run between the 2 towns) then you take the Chappy ferry over. http://www.chappyferry.net/

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Chappaquiddick Island

Or you can bike down to Edgartown and take the bikes with you to Chappy. The "ferry" you take over is called the "On Time" ferry. It runs when people need to get across so it's always on time. =). And it's really not a ferry, but a small, flat barge. Oh, and it only costs whatever you wish to contribute. If that's nothing, then it's free.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chappaquiddick Island

Once you are on the island you need to travel further, because the bridge in question was not from Edgartown to Chappy, but within Chappy -- across a lagoon not too far from, or right in, that nature preserve on the eastern end of Chappy (I'm forgetting the name).

That old bridge doesn't exist anymore, but there is a small bridge there which takes you over the lagoon to the beach.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Chappaquiddick Island

Whoa, I see it's under new ownership and they have rates now. Well boohoo, but I can understand with the cost of deisel, etc.

Scottish Western...
Level Contributor
80 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chappaquiddick Island

Thank you very much good people, I might just stay the night in order to accomplish my mission.

Is there accomodation on Chappaquidik I wonder or better to stay in Edgartown or Oak Bluffs?

Glad of the helpX

Boston
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chappaquiddick Island

Chappaquiddick is rural with some vacation homes. There are, I believe, no hotels there. If there is one B & B there, I might not be surprised but I don't know of any. You really want to stay on the main part of the island. The ferry to Chappy closes down overnight, plus they take a dinner break (is this only true certain times of year? I know I got caught and waited about 45 minutes for the ferry once). Just visit Chappaquiddick for the day. I think the beautiful area I was mentioning in my prior post is Cape Pogue? If I am right, don't miss this spectacular nature preserve.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
15,744 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chappaquiddick Island

By all means stay overnight in Edgartown. MV is very expensive no matter where you stay but you may need the time to enjoy it properly. For more info look at mvy.com.

When you cross over Dike Bridge on Chappaquiddick you'll be able to continue on to the beach at Cape Pogue to the LIghthouse. There are Cape Pogue lighthouse tours which are about $25. per adult. Consider taking a Cape Pogue Natural History tour.

For more info check out thetrustees.org or call 508-693-7662 when you arrive.

8. Re: Chappaquiddick Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 November 2010, 05:23
Get answers to your questions about Hyannis Port