We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Change of our plans to a day trip from Boston -info please

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
806 posts
17 reviews
Change of our plans to a day trip from Boston -info please

Hello -- following my many posts on lots of TA detinations - north and south of Boston - we have now decided to take a day trip by train to Gloucester -- mainly because we are unable to confirm a travel person who had said she would show us around (but I think the family has just had a new baby -- so no contest!!) and also because we are so late in the year the maritime museum is closed. I have got some brochures from the Chamber of Commerce and am trying to plan our day -- some help please:

1. Train from North Station -- do I need to book a return ticket on line?

2. How to get from Gloucester train station to the waterfront?

3. Is there much going on daytime at the harbour?

4. Nice restaurant (maybe seafood) for lunch -- good food but not fine dining

5. Any other places we can walk or take a taxi to that would be worth seeing?

Thank you all so much on this forum -- We have gotten our senior discount on the Downeaster - thanks to you and we have been able to plan what I think will be a great trip for us, despite having no car! THANK YOU ALL

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,678 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Change of our plans to a day trip from Boston -info please

You should plan to buy your ticket at North Station; I doubt it's even possible to do it on line. (Although I doubt our language differences would cause any serious confusion, as you may know, we in the States refer to it as a "round-trip" ticket rather than "return.")

In Gloucester, you will certainly want to visit the Fishermen's Memorial. This is an easy walk from the center of town.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
6,054 posts
183 reviews
2. Re: Change of our plans to a day trip from Boston -info please

It's about a 3/4 mile walk from the Gloucester train depot to the waterfront. Alternatives to walking are the CATA bus (link given previously) or a taxi (a couple may be waiting at the train station). Going back to the station is an uphill walk and you may want to take the bus or ask someone at a restaurant or shop where you're finishing your day to call a taxi for you. The Cape Ann Museum has reopened following renovation and has exhibits on the fishing and maritime industries in addition to art (I haven't been since it reopened, but I always enjoyed the museum in the past). It's about a half mile walk from the train station.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
806 posts
17 reviews
3. Re: Change of our plans to a day trip from Boston -info please

Thanks for that information re the train tickets and the museum -- am delighted that the museum will be open when we are there and I have read about the fisheries and maritime section including boat building which we are very interested in also. Because we are so late in the year a lot of the museums we had hoped to visit are closed for the season so it will be great to start with this one. Thanks again - we are so looking forward to our visit to your part of the country.

Clements california
Level Contributor
336 posts
10 reviews
4. Re: Change of our plans to a day trip from Boston -info please

hmm we were planning on staying in Gloucester two nights. Visit local sites one day then drive to Boston the next. But now I see there is a train and that sounds like fun. I it easy to get around once you get off the train.how do I find the schedule?

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
6,054 posts
183 reviews
5. Re: Change of our plans to a day trip from Boston -info please

Sue L, the Newburyport/Rockport line of the MBTA's commuter rail runs from North Station in Boston to Gloucester, as well as to Rockport, another Cape Ann town. The trip takes about an hour. Here is a link to schedules at the MBTA website (note that service is infrequent outside commuting hours; also be sure to select a train bound for Rockport, not one for Newburyport):

mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/rail/lines/…

From the Gloucester train station, it is about a half mile walk to the downtown area and a bit farther to the waterfront; the return trip will seem longer--it's uphill. The Rockport train station is a very short distance from Bearskin Neck and the water. Cape Ann Transportation Authority (CATA) operates bus service to a number of areas, but, like the train, service is not frequent.

http://www.canntran.com/

All that said, if you want to see a lot of the coast, it will be much easier to do so by car. You will have more flexibility and can make more efficient use of your time. What time of year will you be visiting?

Edited: 31 October 2014, 20:28
6. Re: Change of our plans to a day trip from Boston -info please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 January 2016, 19:15
Get answers to your questions about Gloucester