We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale watch worth it?

Ft Worth
Level Contributor
301 posts
9 reviews
Whale watch worth it?

I'm having a hard time fitting in everything on my trip to Boston. I'm going to rent a car for less than 24 hrs and want to take the coastal route to Gloucester and hang out in the town shopping, eating and enjoying the water views. I plan on getting a motel room over night and start back early with a brief stop in Salem. I'm trying to "wedge" a whale watching tour into my time in gloucester. Is it worth the 4 hours of our precious time to take the tour? If I'm just going to see the tip of a whale tail way off in the distance one or two times then I can gladly skip it. I've done that off the coast of Puerta Vallarta. I want to see whales close up and jumping out of the water. I know there's no way to know what the whales will do but I'm hoping they will be more active than they are in the Southern waters of Mexico. We plan this tour on Sept 5th.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
80 reviews
1. Re: Whale watch worth it?

You aren't likely to see a whale breach although it is possible. I've been on whale watches twice in my life and found it somewhat boring but interesting to get out on the water and see the shoreline in the distance. The first time I went, people on the other side of the boat saw a whale breach. You will likely see lots of whales fairly close up. I've always felt that it sounds more interesting than it really is, but many people seem to really enjoy this stuff, so you have to decide.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
26,624 posts
67 reviews
2. Re: Whale watch worth it?

Whale watching takes a big chunk of time. Only you can decide if it is worth it. You can also take a whale watch out of Boston, so you can maximize site-seeing outside of the city without a car.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
217 reviews
3. Re: Whale watch worth it?

I replied to your other thread but just noticed that in this one you say that your date to see Gloucester and the whale watch is Sept. 5th. That is the beginning of Labor Day weekend. I suspect that you may have problems finding a motel room in Gloucester at this late date for only one night since the long Labor Day weekend is a very popular time for beach vacations, as it is the "unofficial" end of summer. You may encounter two or three night minimum stays required. If you want to do the whale watch, I also would not wait until the last minute as it will likely be very busy during this weekend.

Ft Worth
Level Contributor
301 posts
9 reviews
4. Re: Whale watch worth it?

You scared me there for a second Bookat, Labor Day is Sept 1st so I think it will be the end of August that will be so busy. I may just skip the whale watch. I'll play it by ear and decide the tour and one night motel stay last minute, this goes against every fiber in my being -to be spontaneous.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
217 reviews
5. Re: Whale watch worth it?

OMG you are right! I took a quick look at an online calendar, but I was for 2015 instead of 2014! My bad!! So sorry!

Framingham...
2 posts
1 review
6. Re: Whale watch worth it?

Captain Bill and Sons in Gloucester is the best! My entire family is going tomorrow. This is prime feeding ground time and this will be our third time using Capt. Bill. The last time we had a whale "hug" the side of our boat, I could have stepped off the boat and onto it's back. IT WAS AWESOME!! No one I know has ever been disappointed going out of Gloucester to the northern feeding ground. Yes, the whales do breach (jump out of the water and land on their backs) they also wave their fins and spew water from their spouts. We can't wait to go again. In answer to your question..............YES it is worth your time.

Framingham...
2 posts
1 review
7. Re: Whale watch worth it?

Capt. Bill has 2 trips per day........9am and 2pm. Take the early one and do Salem on the way back to Boston, then you won't need a motel for the nite!

Ft Worth
Level Contributor
301 posts
9 reviews
8. Re: Whale watch worth it?

Thanks. I've been thinking 7 Seas if we go but I like the flexibility of having two different tours a day.

Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
9. Re: Whale watch worth it?

My husband and I went on a whale watch with 7 seas a few weeks ago and it was amazing! We got some really good views of whales. It was absolutely worth the time. 7seas had two departure times when we were there. I think 8:30 and 2:30? You can also buy your tickets online so you are guaranteed a spot.

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
31 reviews
10. Re: Whale watch worth it?

I commend a whale watch anytime (well, weather supporting) especially with all the success this season, but you may not have the time for it with your other wishes (e.g., going up Rt. 127, lunch?). So, shoot for it, but don't pre-pay, would be my suggestion. If you don't make it, the drive around Cape Ann on the 127 loop will not disappoint you at all. It recently was just what the doctor ordered for my Austin friends.

Get answers to your questions about Gloucester