We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

November in Gloucester

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
806 posts
17 reviews
November in Gloucester

Hello - we are planning to visit the US in November --- would love to travel north to Boston and then maybe a few nights in Cape Cod and a few around Gloucester -- but wondering what your weather might be like? Cold? Wet? normally as I know no one can really predict. Will most of the tourist amenities be closed? We will be travelling by bus/train and will not have our own transport but will be relying on tours etc. Any ideas? all suggestions will be helpful in our planning stage. Thank you

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,678 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: November in Gloucester

Among other things, it depends on what part of November you're talking about. The first part of the month can be pretty similar to October, with some lovely days; the end of the month can be very wintry. Particularly on the seacoast, the whole month can be pretty raw. In summary, you're unlikely to see snow and you're unlikely to see 24 degrees Celsius, but both are possible (with the former being somewhat more likely than the latter). You are likely to see rain, clouds, and wind. In general, I'd say expect daytime temperatures around 8-14 degrees Celsius (45-55 degrees Fahrenheit).

It's by no means the ideal time to tour New England. However, Gloucester is a busy year-round community, so there will be no shortage of restaurants, shops, museums, etc. The water-based activities, such as whale-watching cruises, will not be operating.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
183 reviews
2. Re: November in Gloucester

As you posted on the Gloucester Forum, I'll reply to those questions. Gloucester is a year-round, commercial fishing port so you will find most places open. Seasonal activities like boat cruises will be closed. Nearby Rockport is more of a tourist community, but many restaurants and some shops will be open, especially on weekends. You can get around Cape Ann by Cape Ann Transit's bus service, but it is somewhat limited. You can also take the commuter rail between Rockport, Gloucester, and Manchester-by-the-Sea. That train is also how you'll get to Gloucester from Boston. November is usually chilly. We seldom have snow that early, but you never know. I think of it as kind of a grey month.

The following links may help you with planning:

http://www.canntran.com/

mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/rail/lines/…

http://capeannvacations.com/

http://www.capeannmuseum.org/

Edit: Sorry to repeat. At least we were consistent! ;-)

Edited: 06 August 2014, 19:15
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
29 posts
77 reviews
3. Re: November in Gloucester

Thanks to the people who responded to the question. I want to visit Gloucester the first week of November, as the rates for many cottages are significantly reduced. There seems to be enough to do around Cape Ann for a 5 day stay. I plan to take the train from Boston to Gloucester, as renting a car from the airport is far more expensive, and there are enough trains from Boston to Cape Ann during the day.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
183 reviews
4. Re: November in Gloucester

Will you plan to rent a car once you are in Gloucester? It will give you more flexibility.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
29 posts
77 reviews
5. Re: November in Gloucester

Yes. I will rent a car in Gloucester. It is my understanding that public transit in the Cape Ann area, although available, does not run with great frequency.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
29 posts
77 reviews
6. Re: November in Gloucester

Yes. I plan to rent a car in Gloucester.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
183 reviews
7. Re: November in Gloucester

Great! I think with five days, a rental car will allow you to explore more places around Cape Ann. Plus, you won't be waiting in the cold for a bus! Hope you'll have a good visit and will report back afterward.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
806 posts
17 reviews
8. Re: November in Gloucester

Thank you wpsaukee and route128north for your great replies and suggestions. I think we have a few different posters with the same questions. I was the one with no car and wondering about weather -- I think the weather will be no worse than here in Ireland so OK with that. I looked through all teh links you suggested and think that we might stay in Gloucester centre and hopefully the host hotel/guest house will be able to point us in the direction of public transport to see some of the cape. I wonder is there any privet tour/taxi or such that would take us on a trip around the cape for a reasonable price?

Looking at the train timetable it looks like the MBTA train only takes about 1 hour from Boston - so I would hope to maybe stay in Gloucester for 3 nights. Also am half thinking of also visiting Portland ME - further north -- is there any public transport from Gloucester to Portland without going back into Boston? Or can anyone suggest some other possible destination for us on the coast with fishing/boats and seafood dining interest??

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
183 reviews
9. Re: November in Gloucester

Leezy, you're welcome. It was a few weeks ago, but I think I may have gotten the various conversations confused--sorry. You will be able to get around by bus and train, and I'm sure your innkeeper will be helpful with logistics. I'm not aware of any tours by taxi or similar, but I recall someone who was arriving by cruiseship looking for one. Can't remember if he found something, but it should turn up among older (within the past year) Gloucester Forum posts. You are correct that the train from Boston takes about an hour. And, unfortunately, you'll need to return to Boston to pickup the Downeaster to Portland. Portland will be a great destination for you, I think!

I can't remember if you've considered staying in Marblehead. It is known for yachts and sailing, but also has a little commercial fishing (lobstering) activity. You can get there by MBTA bus from Boston, but once there, it's difficult to visit other places. Salem is adjacent, but there is no direct public transit route (a taxi would be a short ride though).

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
806 posts
17 reviews
10. Re: November in Gloucester

Thanks again -- I think we will now stick with Gloucester MA and Portland ME.

Maybe 3 or 4 nights each in Portland and in Gloucester and then a 1 or 2 day trip to Hyannis . All of the travel by public transport as I'm afraid as any tours I did find finish in October.

In between the trips above we will have 1 or 2 nights in Boston itself? Thinking about Back Bay if we can get a reasonable hotel there. What do you think of this itinerary?

Get answers to your questions about Gloucester