We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dennisport July 4th Week

Lincoln, RI
6 posts
Dennisport July 4th Week

Me and my husband will be staying in Dennisport July 3rd-10,2010. Any recommendations on places we have to see or eat? Any ideas on what to do 4th of July--should we stay in the area or go to Hyannis for the day? How is Haigis beach, it just 1/4 a mile away from us. Any suggestions would be great, thanks in advance.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
16,123 posts
34 reviews
31 helpful votes
1. Re: Dennisport July 4th Week

Walk to the beach and then, if you like to, walk some more. I suggest that you walk (low tide is best) west until you can go no farther unless you swim across Swan River. It's really pretty out there. And you can see the start of my favorite south side beach and that is South Village Beach. Once on South Village you can walk all the way down to the Lighthouse Inn for lunch on their deck/porch. Order something simple. Then rent a jetski right out front for a quick ride around the Sound. Or you can continue to walk west until the land is interupted again by the Bass River.

After all that exercise you will want to eat. Start with the oyster happy hour from 4 - 6 daily at the Oyster Co for 1/2 price oysters. Stay for dinner if you like the menu. Other great dining in Dennisport includes Ocean House at the top of the list. Make a reservation and then wait for a table to cruise on into the lounge and take the first available table. If there are just two of you it won't be long. You can make a meal out of their terrific apps or order a full meal there. So many folks love the Ebb Tide just down the street from Ocean House. There's also several casual restaurants in Dennisport like the little sports bar spot with lobster called the Wooden Shoe (cash only), Wee Packet (they serve dinner but I think of it for breakfast/lunch) Sundae School ice cream (homemade), Chapin's Beach House (not on the beach but a big variety of food and drink), Swan River Restaurant with a gorgeous sunset view. All of these are listed in order from east to west along Lower County Rd. so you don't have to go up onto Rt. 28 if it is busy.

Look up beside your screen name. Do you have a private message?

Methuen
Level Contributor
537 posts
55 reviews
74 helpful votes
2. Re: Dennisport July 4th Week

You can check out where the fireworks are -

www.capeguide.com or check out capecodonline before you go - or on thursdays they publish a calendar - also available at most hotels etc. - this is a good reference for the week .

I think on The 5th Rock Harbor - Orleans has fireworks - that would be nice - see the sunset and then the fireworks.

Also - Check out the Artsfoundation.org or the above calendar to check out music at each of the towns greens - you will be sure to find one of them that will suit your taste in music sometime during the week

There is so much to see - take a stop in the Chatham area - see the seals at the pier . Shop and eat on main st.

Take a ride down RTE 6A and stop along the way at various shops etc.

Take a ride on the Starfish - it leaves from the dock near Sundancers - you get the tickets at the windmill plaza - it is interesting to ride up the bass river and hear some information - (although I do think the guy talks too much )

A special night - Wequasett Inn - For expensive night - 28 Atlantic but also you can eat at the outer bar for less - Go on night that there is some Jazz playing - check out the website to see if there is a night scheduled - you really don't even have to go inside the tent - you can just sit outside and just listen.

CCC gave you some good recommendations for dinner around the area.

What types of things are you interested in ?

Lincoln, RI
6 posts
3. Re: Dennisport July 4th Week

Thanks for the info and recommendations. We are open to anything...its the two of us and our dog. So anything fun to do with the dog would be great. I am 6 months pregnant so nothing too extreme. I am wondering if I will be able to kayak or if I can even fit into a life jacket at that point! I have been looking at the harbor cruises and found a car show to check out one night. My main concern is 4th of July, I have absolutely no idea what to do that day especially if there is going to be tons of traffic. I also want to know if there is something that we shouldn't miss. I am also trying to choose a day or two to check out other areas such as Hyannis and Chatham. I did purchase a beach pass so we will spend a lot of time at the beaches--which is your favorite? I heard some have boardwalks.

Thanks,

Sue

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
16,123 posts
34 reviews
31 helpful votes
4. Re: Dennisport July 4th Week

Favorite beach on the Bay side is Mayflower but on the Nantucket Sound side you can walk them all at low tide so just go to the closest. My favorite on that side is South Village just because of the extra interesting things walking toward Swan River or going the other way toward the lighthouse.

But, there's 16 beaches (including Scargo and Princess on Scargo Lake) for you to enjoy in Dennis. Don't miss the sunsets too.

When you arrive pick up Cape Week (and you can look at it online earlier) and see what is suggested that appeals to you.

If you decide not to kayak you can rent an electric paddle boat in Dennisport and travel Swan River out to the Sound.

Have fun.

Methuen
Level Contributor
537 posts
55 reviews
74 helpful votes
5. Re: Dennisport July 4th Week

CCC - great idea - I didn't realize the paddle boats were electric - may try that with friends this year. Also - www.capecodwaterways is the site - there is a coupon too worth 5.00 off -

CCC - Is it a good idea to go out just after 6:00- to see the sunset or do you know if gets "buggy" there ? I do see that the closing time is 8:00 .

Edited: 20 June 2010, 15:10
Methuen
Level Contributor
537 posts
55 reviews
74 helpful votes
6. Re: Dennisport July 4th Week

oops - it is not a 5.00 discount it is an extra 1/2 hour of time!!

Boston...
Level Contributor
198 posts
7. Re: Dennisport July 4th Week

Our family is headed down to Dennis Port over the 4th and I found this of interest .....

it is in Mashpee and might be of interest to your family as well

This might be very interesting

What: 4th of July at a Large Native American Powwow and Fireworks

When: Sunday, July 4, 2010 9:00 AM

8. Re: Dennisport July 4th Week

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2010, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Dennis Port