We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stage Stop Candy, Ltd Dennisport, MA - Not nice

Deep River...
Level Contributor
1 post
16 reviews
Stage Stop Candy, Ltd Dennisport, MA - Not nice

My family, 2 adults and 3 children stopped in the shop on November 27, 2009, we purchased over $50 worth of candy, but when we inquired to use the rest room due to an emergency with one of my children, they refused. Rude lady at counter. We left with a child crying and a bad taste in my mouth. Won't go there again, nor will I ever recommend to my friends.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,801 posts
1 review
1. Re: Stage Stop Candy, Ltd Dennisport, MA - Not nice

Why is it that these folks with the world-ending problems with stores or hotels are almost always frist time posters??

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,407 posts
14 reviews
2. Re: Stage Stop Candy, Ltd Dennisport, MA - Not nice

I can't speak to the rudeness issue but you should be aware that many locations, even commercial ones, on the lower/outer cape have a limited capacity for septic waste. Most locations are not connected to a sewer line and some do not have town water. In these instances, the facilities are not for public use as they would quickly become overrun...an expensive and VERY unpleasant experience. I imagine that folks like you who are used to just flushing without ever thinking will find it difficult to understand some of the infrastructure issues that Cape Cod must deal with due to the fragile environment.

The next time you travel with kids in tow I suggest you make it a priority to locate the PUBLIC bathroom facilities before an emergency arises instead of placing the blame on someone else.

Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
3,023 posts
11 reviews
3. Re: Stage Stop Candy, Ltd Dennisport, MA - Not nice

Oh, thanks goodness. I am going to cross-post this to CandyStoreAdvisor.com too. This is facinating news.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
872 posts
110 reviews
4. Re: Stage Stop Candy, Ltd Dennisport, MA - Not nice

Diamond222 has been a TA member since 2004 and has written reviews etc.

I do think it is a red flag when a first time poster has just joined, but this is probably legit.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,752 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: Stage Stop Candy, Ltd Dennisport, MA - Not nice

But how was the candy?

Boston
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
15 reviews
6. Re: Stage Stop Candy, Ltd Dennisport, MA - Not nice

Hey, whether or not the visitor was familiar with the septic systems in Cape Cod, I think she has a legitimate complaint. I don't approve of mocking her in any way. The store owner could have allowed a desperate child to use the facilities, or kindly pointed out the nearest public facility. I have been in this situation, also been treated rudely, and you never forget it. It's quite rude treatment particularly where the family was a customer.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,658 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Stage Stop Candy, Ltd Dennisport, MA - Not nice

I was just about to say something similar. I understand that there has to be a limit but if it is obvious that there is a real immediate need then surely help should be offered. Even if you know where the public toilets are, there is not always time to get there in an emergency.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
872 posts
110 reviews
8. Re: Stage Stop Candy, Ltd Dennisport, MA - Not nice

I always find it very annoying when I have to leave a store cause my kid couldn't use the bathroom. Unfortunately way too many businesses don't train the employees in how important customer service is. In fact plenty of owners don't have a clue about customer service, too bad. Those are businesses that I usually avoid. If I get that great treatment in a business I will be a very loyal customer.

Diamond 222, you might want to do a review of Stage Stop too.

Martha

Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
3,023 posts
11 reviews
9. Re: Stage Stop Candy, Ltd Dennisport, MA - Not nice

I guess my indifference to this poster's plight is that it's barely travel-related. And it has no bearing on the quality of the product. The only useful bits of information is that this is not a place where you should plan to use the restroom, and there is a rude lady behind the counter.

So, if I'm not going to change my purchaing habits based on this tidbit, I find it irresponsible of the OP to trash the company.

Just my opinion. As Diva said -- how was the candy?

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,407 posts
14 reviews
10. Re: Stage Stop Candy, Ltd Dennisport, MA - Not nice

I'm not defending the salesperson who may have been rude...there's no excuse for rudeness toward a customer. But...Diamond222 may have been the first person or the 81st person that day to ask to use the bathroom. I imagine that most travelers to the cape just assume that there are public toilets in every commercial setting. NOT So my advice to parents is "Find the public restrooms and plan to use them BEFORE there is an emergency". Take your little darlings in and sit them down even if they claim there is no need. The Cape is notoriously short on public bathroom facilities so plan ahead.

Get answers to your questions about Dennis Port