We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wolfie's Closed

new york
Level Contributor
23 posts
16 reviews
Wolfie's Closed

Just heard from a friend who just got back from the Cape that Wolfie's Bakery has closed. In addition, she mentioned 2 Christmas Tree Shops and a couple other businesses have also closed for the season due to the economy and poor weather. Can anyone confirm? We're heading to Dennis Port late August/early Sept. I'm teetering on whether or not to cancel. Hate the thought of spending all that money and have it be Ghost town and poor weather to boot. Thanks.

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: Wolfie's Closed

What? It's a zoo up here; you'll love it!

The Christmas Tree shops are open in Hyannis, Dennis and Orleans and I haven't seen or heard of any of them closing.

Everything's in full swing; closings due to the economy are nation wide and the way to keep the current businesses open is to frequent them!

The weather has Finally begun to improve this week (2 consecutive days of brilliant weather, yahoo), but this is no guarantee of future weather. Nothing new there as that's true every summer and fall.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
15,950 posts
34 reviews
2. Re: Wolfie's Closed

Well Beachwitch you know Terry has been trying to sell Woolfies for years (but only as a bakery) so it's not a big surprise that she didn't open this year.

Which Christmas Trees did your friend say were closed...Yarmouthport??? That location closed three years ago but the others: Sagamore, Falmouth, Hyannis, W. Yarmouth, W. Dennis and Orleans are and will be open 8AM to 9PM daily so bring an extra suitcase. lol.

The West Dennis Christmas Tree was as packed as ever in early July and, yes, maybe that was because of the dreary weather which I hear has been really turned beautiful of late.

Don't you usually go at the end of August to avoid crowds and lines at restaurants? IF there are indeed fewer folks then you just get your ice cream at Sundae School a little quicker right?

BTW, I just mentioned on the board that we hadn't heard from you yet this year. Glad to 'see' you. Hope your Cape Cod vacation is better than ever this year.

new york
Level Contributor
23 posts
16 reviews
3. Re: Wolfie's Closed

Good to know ! Thanks all for the updates. Wouldn't be a summer without the annual trip to the Cape. Just as a sidebar to Cape Cod Charlie, we did manage to squeeze in 4 days in late June down in Ocean City, NJ. We stayed at the Port-O-Call Hotel. I life-long dream of mine. And it was fabulous. Weather there was perfect and the Boardwalk was lots of fun for my 7yro DD. I know you too have fond memories and great appreciation for Ocean City. Fingers crossed that the summer weather is finally upon us !

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
15,950 posts
34 reviews
4. Re: Wolfie's Closed

Yes, you are right. And after our family sold the cottge there on 16th and Wesley (now a big house covers every inch of that lot) we would stay at Port O Call to be 'in the neighborhood'.

Did you all bike the boards in the morning? Is Bob's still there? Glad you had fun in dear ol' OCNJ Beachwitch.

new york
Level Contributor
23 posts
16 reviews
5. Re: Wolfie's Closed

Yes Bob's is still there -- a true landmark. We rented a surrey for the boards as it was much easier to manuever for the 7yro. Had great fun, ate lots of Kohr Bros frozen yogurt & monkey bread. Couple of new restaurants on the boardwalk were pretty good. We're going back next summer for a full week. Nice to change it up a bit !

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
435 posts
6. Re: Wolfie's Closed

She may have meant that Cuffys was closed

The Yarmouth and Warehouse location are not longer there and I did see a for sale sign up on the building that the Chatham Cuffy's was located in.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
435 posts
7. Re: Wolfie's Closed

A recent annual right of passage was the "For Sale" sign on Wolfie's but it still seemed to open albeit later and later each year - so many were surprised that it did not open but I would say in this economy maybe she was making the right decision.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
435 posts
8. Re: Wolfie's Closed

Has anyone on the board been to the Great Island Bakery in South Yarmouth?? I drive by it often but have never been in!

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
6 reviews
9. Re: Wolfie's Closed

Cuffy's is thriving in Chatham. I just returned from there! I didn't see the 'for sale' sign either..I wasn't looking for it though.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
435 posts
10. Re: Wolfie's Closed

Thought I saw a sign about a month ago that the building was up for sale could be mistaken though and I guess lots can happen in a month :-)

Get answers to your questions about Dennis Port