We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Chelmsford MA

Singapore, Singapore
6 posts
Going to Chelmsford MA

Hi guys,

Need some help...

Flying off to Chelmford MA for 2 week training. TO be exact will be elizabeth drive.1st time to USA.I will be driving .. what are the places to visit and to purchase in car entertainment stuff. Where is the nearest premium outlets? Is it Wrentham premium outlets? How far away ?

How to fully utlize my trip there?Drive to Boston or take some other means of transportation?

8 replies to this topic
Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,215 posts
80 reviews
1. Re: Going to Chelmsford MA

I worked on Elizabeth Drive 20 years ago...

The first thing you need to know is that there is a 6.25% sales tax in Massachusetts (although clothing items under $175 are not subject to tax), but there is no sales tax in New Hampshire, so there is a lot of shopping just across the border in New Hampshire, up route 3 from Chelmsford.

I don't know what you mean by "in car entertainment stuff".

It will probably be easiest for you to drive all the way into Boston, but this is not something you will do regularly in the evening. An alternative would be to park at the train station in Lowell or North Billerica and take the train into North Station.

Chelmsford is adjacent to Lowell, which was the first factory town in the United States. There is a fascinating National Historical Park there explaining how the old, hydraulic mills worked. Also a very large Cambodian population. I suggest you see the movie "The Fighter" before your trip.

Singapore, Singapore
6 posts
2. Re: Going to Chelmsford MA

Thomas,

Thanks for the reply and the info are very helpful.

I google around and saw the premium outlets. is the nearest at the Wrentham premium outlets? do you suggest to purchase the clothing at the outlets?

Since New Hampshire is without sales tax, so i guess it is recommended to drop by there.

In car entertainment refers to the headunits, amplifier and speakers in the car.I heard the deal is cheaper comparing to Singapore. Is there exact shop name available?

How far is it to drive from Chelmsford to Boston? i will have a weekend available there and do you suggest for me to drive to New York City?

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,741 posts
1 review
3. Re: Going to Chelmsford MA

The only big outlet mall around Boston is in Wrentham, which is actually about 45 minutes southwest of the city. There is no sales tax on clothing priced below $175 in Massachusetts. For anything else, the Sales Tax is 6.25%, so unless you plan on buying hundreds or thousands of dollars of stuff, it's not worth going to New Hampshire. And I can't fathom buying a car stereo system here and then schlepping it to Singapore, but everybody is different. Are you going to have to pay extra for overweight or additional pieces to check? Is it really that much of a difference price-wise? Hard for me to understand, since it's probably made in Asia.

Edited: 07 September 2011, 11:30
Boston...
Level Contributor
101 posts
4. Re: Going to Chelmsford MA

If you are staying in Chelmsford, I would not waste the drive to Wrentham. You will more than likely find better deals at the Pheasant Lane Mall in Nashua. ( which is a very short drive up route 3 from Chelmsford) The small savings at the Wrentham outlets are not worth it in IMHO. I do better shopping the sales every time.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
7,225 posts
217 reviews
5. Re: Going to Chelmsford MA

Hi - NYC is about a 3 1/2 - 4 hour drive, depending upon traffic. If you have a free weekend, I would say it is definitely worth it if you want to go, especially as you are traveling all the way from SIngapore. I would be sure to book a hotel room in advance.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,215 posts
80 reviews
6. Re: Going to Chelmsford MA

I've never been to Wrentham but if you see some particular brand's outlet store there it might be worth going (it's only an hour from Chelmsford). there is also a lot of outlet shopping in Tilton, New Hampshire, which might be worth the drive for you (it's about an hour and 15 minutes). again, google it to see if there is a particular brand with an outlet there (or just go to either place and enjoy the shopping! :-) ).

the place to get "in car" stuff would be Best Buy in Nashua, New Hampshire (no sales tax and not far from Chelmsford).

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
21 posts
52 reviews
7. Re: Going to Chelmsford MA

Actually, from Chelmsford the outlets in Kittery Maine are slightly closer (like 5 minutes closer). It is a bigger selection os stores- though more spread out and more like a shopping district as opposed to a shopping mall. Pheasant Lane Mall is also a good place to stop and shop for the day. Going up to Downtown Nashua is also nice little trip. Has a cute downtown area and lots of fun little boutique type shops as well as some great restaurants.

-Lisa

Boston...
Level Contributor
941 posts
13 reviews
8. Re: Going to Chelmsford MA

The only stores that could possibly sell Car Audio in the Wrentham outlets are Sony & Bose. Kittery Outlets have Bose as well.

Check out their sites online for Prices. I would also check our regular electronics retailer BestBuy.com. BestBuy stores can be found in the city and you do not have to travel to Outlets.

If you are into big "Brand Name" stuff then Wrentham Outlets is one place to find all the "major" brands under one roof.

Being a first trip, Check out Boston in parts each day in the evening. Then on the weekend, you can probably do a quick - "I have been there" - trip to New York City. You could either drive or take one of the many Buses to the city. Your driving time depends on the general weekend traffic. I would suggest you leave early on Saturday. Once in the city, you can take one of those Hop On Hop Off buses and just sit on it to get a good quick first look at the city.

Reply to: Going to Chelmsford MA
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Burlington