We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Burlington

Burlington

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 March 2015, 17:41

8 replies to this topic
Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Burlington

I'm not very familiar with Burlington, certainly not enough to offer advice to you. Maybe someone who lives in Burlington will see this and offer advice, but you would probably get more replies if you posed your questions on the city data forum. That is a more appropriate website to seek local help with questions about relocating.

Good Luck!

http://www.city-data.com/forum/massachusetts/

Mentioned in this post
Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Burlington

If you are uneasy about living outside the city, get a city apartment and do the commute. It is a "reverse" commute (against the traffic flow at rush hours) and could take about 35-45 minutes from, say, Somerville, adjacent and convenient to Boston and where a lot of folks of your age live, or Arlington or North Cambridge.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Arlington
Arlington
Virginia
Cambridge
Cambridge
Massachusetts
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,359 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Burlington

Hi, Arlington would be a good choice, you can actually take back roads into Burlington and avoid the highway all together. It is a great town, adjacent to Cambridge & Somerville. Lots of great restaurants, and the Capitol Theater Lots of rental properties & public transportation into the city - which is less than 10 miles away so it is not like you are stuck out in the boondocks.

Mentioned in this post
Arlington
Arlington
Virginia
Cambridge
Cambridge
Massachusetts
Somerville
Somerville
Massachusetts
Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,215 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Burlington

I'm very familiar with Burlington. You won't be far from Boston, if you consider that a major city. Not clear to me what your apprehension is. Nobody lives in Burlington (slight exaggeration).

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,501 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Burlington

I agree with tcantarelli's recommendations, Arlington, Somerville, Cambridge. I assume you will have a car? Just be careful when you apartment shop and see what the deal is for parking. Many places charge an extra fee for that spot.

Mentioned in this post
Arlington
Arlington
Virginia
Somerville
Somerville
Massachusetts
Cambridge
Cambridge
Massachusetts
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
25,902 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Burlington

What is it that concerns you? Is it that you'd rather be IN a city or that you haven't live near a city before?

Do you have kids? Are you looking to buy or rent? What's your budget? Those answers may help people better guide you.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Burlington

I don't think the reverse commute thing applies to Burlington from Boston. Especially once on 128/95.

From Arlington you can do the trip without getting on a main highway. Getting from Arlington to Boston is an easy drive at night and on weekends and easy enough by the public transportation.

Arlington also has great restaurants and a nice place to live.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Arlington
Arlington
Virginia
Boston
Level Contributor
7,243 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Burlington

We need a little more detail to help. Are you going to buy or rent? In either case what is your budget? How big of a place are you looking for. What do you want to be close, to? How important is it to easily get into Boston? Are you alone or with someone? Where will the other person work? Are schools important?

Burlington is sort of an average, typical suburb. There is a very big mall there, Burlington Mall. Also quite a few office parks.

I agree that Arlington could be a good choice, also West Medford, Winchester, Woburn, North Cambridge, Davis Square Somerville but it depends what you're looking for.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Burlington Mall
Burlington Mall
67 Reviews
Burlington, MA
Arlington
Arlington
Virginia
Winchester