We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rock hall or chestertown

New York City
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
rock hall or chestertown

we are thinking of going to either rock hall or chestertown. looking for quaint seaside town with good food, specifically crabs. we don't want to go much further from this area but open to other places nearby. and, is it too early for good crabs in may??

Blue Crab Chesapeake Charters
Multi-day Tours, Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
The Mainstay
Performances, Theatres
9 replies to this topic
Maryland, USA
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,857 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rock hall or chestertown

Rock Hall is on the bay and Chestertown is on the Chester River, so depending on the activities you'd like to do, that could make a big difference. The towns are pretty close together -- about 20-25 mins apart -- so you could easily visit both of them no matter which place you stay.

Mentioned in this post
New York City
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rock hall or chestertown

Thank you for your response. The main thing is to find a good place to do the Maryland crab thing in that area (casual but good is fine). Any suggestions? We've saw the blurb on trip advisor about these 2 areas and the Brampton b&b in Chestertown, and Inn at Huntingfield Creek in Rock Hall. That's what led me to this area. Open to other ideas, but didn't want to travel more than about 2 hours from Norristown, PA where we will be visiting.

Mentioned in this post
Maryland
Maryland
United States
Beaufort, South...
Destination Expert
for Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rock hall or chestertown

I would vote for Rock Hall mostly because there is more lodging and dining on the waterfront than in Chestertown. And for a small place, Rock Hall has some nice options for sleeping and eating. Check out www.rockhallmd.com

This website lists all the services, attractions, lodging etc. As the previous poster mentioned you can always take a drive to Chestertown, which is quite historic. but can be seen in an afternoon.

Mentioned in this post
Beaufort, South...
Destination Expert
for Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: rock hall or chestertown

Oh yes, you should be able to get decent crabs in May and Rock Hall has great casual eateries that serve our local delicacy.

New York City
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: rock hall or chestertown

Thank you for all your suggestions. This really helps a lot! Greatly appreciate your time. Looking forward to planning the trip....

Virginia
Level Contributor
318 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: rock hall or chestertown

If you haven't yet finalized your trip, perhaps you could consider a town that I think is far more interesting than either Rock Hall or Chestertown, plus it would not be as far for you to drive from PA. Havre de Grace, MD, is on the top of the bay Having been to all three of these towns, it would be my first choice, especially coming from PA. Maybe it is something you could keep in mind for a future bay visit and crab experience.

http://www.hdgtourism.com/

Mentioned in this post
New York City
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: rock hall or chestertown

Actually, our trip was postponed due to weather and finding out that crabs are better in the summer. I will definitely check this out. Any suggestions on places to stay and restaurants? Thanks for your response!

Virginia
Level Contributor
318 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: rock hall or chestertown

I haven't eaten there in a long time. Last visit we had a picnic brought from home and ate it on some rocks by the water. I've always wanted to try this place though: http://www.pricesseafood.com/. There are a lot of reviews on Trip Advisor, Urban Spoon, and Yelp. It's been around since the 1940s so you know they must do something right.

Several summers I worked at a camp in the area and the locals always said the crabs were best in July. Consequently I only eat crabs in July and August even though crabbing season starts in MD in April and ends in Nov. It's just hard to change your ways once something gets stuck in your mind.

Going to Havre de Grace (named after the town in France but not pronounced the French way) is a day trip for us, so I've never stayed anywhere around there. I think you'll love the little town--a real seaside town on the bay. Rock Hall doesn't have much to offer, in my opinion other than a relaxing time by the bay at a B&B.

Nashville, Tennessee
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: rock hall or chestertown

I would say Rock Hall if you want Crabs. Rock hall is a little bit more peacefull and relaxed than Chestertown. You can get Crab's from Fords seafood and take tem to the beach as they have picnic areas, or you can eat them at Fords. You are right about Crabs in July, better and bigger then. There actually are some great little shops on main street in Rock Hall, and two waterfront places to eat.

Mentioned in this post
Reply to: rock hall or chestertown
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Rock Hall