We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Deep Creek Non-WISP Activities

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Deep Creek Non-WISP Activities

Our family has rented a place in McHenry between Christmas and New Years. We were hoping for plenty of snow (downhill/cross country skiing) but as of right now the extended forecast does not look too promising. I have checked the WISP site, mountain report, etc, and can see that a few slopes are open, including tubing, but unless we get lucky between now and then there is probably not enough open to keep us busy for a few days. Anyhow, we are now looking at other things to do, primarily outdoor related. Are there any recommended hikes or web sites where I can see popular trail heads, etc, or any other activities that one could recommend? We have been to DCL in the summer (never in the winter) so we are familiar with the area. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
McHenry
McHenry
Garrett County, MD
5 replies to this topic
New Market, Maryland
Level Contributor
667 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Deep Creek Non-WISP Activities

Garrett Trails has a website with some hiking trails listed. That would be my first choice if the weather isn't too wet. Besides that, there isn't much except enjoying your cabin.

Falls Church...
Level Contributor
3,367 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Deep Creek Non-WISP Activities

I loved visiting Swallow Falls a few summers ago. No idea about conditions in Winter but its worth looking up.

I'm a public transportation nerd so I drove over to Morgantown to ride the PRT.

Next time I'm up there I'm making a special trip (a couple of hours from Deep Creek I understand) to visit Frank Lloyd Wright's Falling Water house.

Mentioned in this post
Morgantown
Morgantown
West Virginia
Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,781 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Deep Creek Non-WISP Activities

There are actually two FLW homes in that area, with a package deal ticket offering -- Kentuck Knob is the other.

I'm not an expert on trails in that area, but I would check http://www.everytrail.com/ , google earth's trail display function, and wikiloc for additional options.

Mentioned in this post
Kentuck Knob
Kentuck Knob
523 Reviews
Chalk Hill, PA
Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Deep Creek Non-WISP Activities

A big 'thank you' to everyone for taking the time to reply. The web sites were exactly what I was looking for, and I will be sure to take a look at the other activity recommendations as well. I have been to Swallow Falls but only in summer. My family had a great time there and we will certainly look into what it has to offer in winter. In the end I know we will enjoy our stay in DCL...but at the same time we will continue to keep our fingers crossed for snow (or at least snow-making temperatures)!

Western Maryland
Level Contributor
250 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Deep Creek Non-WISP Activities

I find it criminal that Wisp is changing peak rates ($79, today Monday) when only a few lifts are open. Looks like the new ownership is just as crooked as the last one. How long will they last?

Reply to: Deep Creek Non-WISP Activities
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about McHenry
Recent Conversations