We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wisp?

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
823 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Wisp?

Just curious about skiing there. I don't see any recent posts on it even though ski season is well under way. Having skied a fair amount in the Southeast how does wisp stack up to other resorts in this region (i realize it is not the Rockies) as I am looking for a place I can drive to. I usually take trips to WV and wanted to try a new place, as a trip out west is not going to happen this year. They are running some good deals at their hotel. Ski in ski out is a huge plus that will cost you a lot more at a place like Snowshoe which I really love.

17 replies to this topic
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,123 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Wisp?

Don't try to compare them. No bowls, above tree skiing, open runs on east coast. Don't get me wrong,i love New England skiing but it is not the Rockies. Just enjoy for what it is.

Western Maryland
Level Contributor
250 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Wisp?

Bring warm gear. It will likely be <0 at the summit and on the lifts.

The Burgh
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Wisp?

I just got back from WISP over the Ground Hog Day weekend. I've been to Hidden Valley, 7 Springs, Snowshoe, and now Wisp in Maryland.

Great resort town with plenty of restaurants, and activities. They have a new movie theater not far from the resort, which is really nice. I guess it's brand new from what I saw. Everything you need is right there next to the resort (WISP).

WISP is an old park dating back, well....since forever. The lodge is a bit old school, but it has bars, restaurants, and a really huge dining hall filled with fast food type stuff.

The lifts are pretty old, but they take you everywhere you need to go. I perfer the right side of the mountain. Plenty of long runs, and it's a 33/33/33 mix of terains from easy to hard.

Night skiing is a bit tough, as the lights are a bit outdated.

I liked the geography of the place personaly. It's old, but it has charm. I definilty want to go back and ride the mountain coaster! There is also snow tubing, ice skating, and the whole nine yards.

It's not as new or classy as Snowshoe or Hidden Valley, but it's something different.

Western Maryland
Level Contributor
250 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Wisp?

Just to add, Wisp was purchased out of bankruptcy by a company that owns and operates I think 8 other resorts. It would be safe to assume that improvements are forthcoming.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
823 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Wisp?

Wow this forum does not see much action...So here I am a few years later thinking about Wisp again and this thread is still near the top.

My plan is to go to Canaan Valley and Timberline Resort in WV using the CVR lodge as my base for a few days of skiing at each. The new lodges they have built at Canaan Valley look much better than the old one and they are offer some really good deals. So the plan is to ski that area and make a day tip up to Wisp since it is only 50 miles north of there. I am very interested to see how Wisp stacks up to other mid atlantic and southeast skiing. I will keep you posted-watching the weather channel right now looks they this area is going to get hit today thru monday. I am hoping its all snow and no ice!

Ellicott City...
Level Contributor
27 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Wisp?

Hi Kelly: Well, our family took a day trip to Timberline and even though the longest trail was 2 miles, the amenities for those that don't ski or board are pathetic. A restaurant/cafeteria were incredibly small with a very small selection. The restaurant is a joke with hardly any seating and stifling hot. There was a third floor with tables with no service and a massage table (yep!). They had ceiling fans on both floors but not turned on. No pickup/drop off area for drivers. We were extremely disappointed. We have not been to Canaan Valley. On the other hand, Seven Springs offers A LOT. The only problem that I could think of is if you rent a house, the closest town would be Somerset which is about 1/2 hour away. There a big hotel. It really does offer a lot. It seems the rentals are up on a slope. We can't figure out the lay of the land for something lower down. Can't even find a rental agency inquire about. Good luck and keep me informed. Have a good one.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
823 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Wisp?

The thing with me is that if I lived further north I would probably be going to 7 Springs or Whitetail, Holiday Valley, or heck Vermont for that matter...I am driving from Nashville, Tn and the CV area is pretty much the limit on how far I am willing to drive. I don't mind hitting Wisp since it will be so close to my base at the Canaan Valley Lodge. I realize there are at least half a dozen ski resorts that are closer to me like in NC but they get only a fraction of the snow the CV area gets.

And then there is Snowshoe which is the biggest place close to me but their price are a lot more for everything (lift tickets,rental, rooms). Don't get me wrong I like SS a lot, it is the best in the region, but I want to change it up a bit so CV is the next best thing since you have both it and T-Line only 5 minutes apart. Throw in WIsp 50 miles up the road and that's a lot of skiing for one area.

I hear what you are saying about T-line and the thing about them is that they have some of the best terrain south of NE but lack in others areas like you mentioned as well having some of the slowest lifts I have ever been on and that is due to the fact that they are family owned. I can't think of any of ski resort that is family owned like they are, so they lack the capital to upgrade a lot of the things you mentioned. They did just announce a crowd source campaign to address many of these issues. They know with the soon to be completed corridor H more people will come and so it is good they seem to recognize they need to improve.

It helps me out tremendously that I always ski on a weekday when there is virtually no one else there. I can't imagine what a madhouse the place would be on a Saturday or Sunday.

Reply to: Wisp?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about McHenry