We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wisp?

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
823 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Wisp?

Just curious about skiing there. I don't see any recent posts on it even though ski season is well under way. Having skied a fair amount in the Southeast how does wisp stack up to other resorts in this region (i realize it is not the Rockies) as I am looking for a place I can drive to. I usually take trips to WV and wanted to try a new place, as a trip out west is not going to happen this year. They are running some good deals at their hotel. Ski in ski out is a huge plus that will cost you a lot more at a place like Snowshoe which I really love.

17 replies to this topic
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,124 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wisp?

Wisp is not very big even compared to other East coast mountains. Better served going to WV or all the way to NE. I would skip MD and PA completely (and usually do even though I live here).

If you have a place in Wisp then it is just fine. Not sure of your logistics to snowshoe or massanuttan but would go there if more convenient.

Last year was so warm, that no surprised there are no recent reviews.

Let me say that in Baltimore, most people day trip to Liberty, Roundtop or Whitetail and many people do love Deep Creek for a weekend as it is closer than the WV resorts and nicer than the PA resorts but I would not call it a destination for skiing.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
232 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wisp?

I don't ski, so I can't comment on WISP as a ski destination, but I did hear on the radio this morning that they got a foot of new snow over the last few days. The front page of the resort website has an update on the current conditions:

http://www.wispresort.com/

dctravel

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,124 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wisp?

Just to give you an idea . As you can see, from a ski perspective, there is no reason to pass snowshoe to go to Wisp.

Wisp

MOUNTAIN PROFILE:

ELEVATION - Summit 3,115 ft.; Base 2,415 ft. f (700 vertical feet)

TRAIL SYSTEM - 32 slopes and trails totaling 10.5 miles on 132 acres

of skiable terrain

SLOPE DIFFICULTY - 41% beginner, 28% intermediate, 31% advanced

GROOMING – Beginner to expert, runs are groomed nightly

NIGHT SKIING – Over 90% of skiable terrain is lit for night skiing & riding

LIFT SYSTEM - Two quad chairlifts, five triple chairlifts,

four conveyor carpets, one surface tow

Whitetail Statistics

Vertical Drop - 935 ft.

Top Elevation - 1,800 ft.

23 Trails

9 Lifts

Snowshoe Mountain

180 inches average annual snowfall

4,848 foot summit elevation

1,500 feet vertical drop

Longest run: 1.5 miles

100% snowmaking

251 acres

60 slopes and trails

(42% easier, 30% more difficult, 23% most difficult, 5% extremely difficult, 11% freestyle)

15 lifts including 3 high speed detachable quads

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
823 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wisp?

I realize it is not a major destination for skiing as one who has many trips out west. I skied Beaver Creek, Vail, and Mt Hood Oregon last year alone in addition to a WV trip.

As i said in my first post I am just looking for a new place to try that I can drive to that is not Snowshoe. Don't get me wrong Snowshoe is very nice for southern skiing but I can only go there so many times.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,124 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wisp?

Well we have friends there now who say conditions are great. If you don't mind a long ride for a short slope, then go got it. I have lived here 30 years and Bever had the urge to spend a weekend there when I can drive a few more hours to Stratton. My friends just bought a home there and expect to visit this winter which its the right price for me.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
823 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wisp?

if Stratton were only a few hours away I would be driving there too

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,124 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wisp?

:-) BTW, the home I was referring to was at wisp. Seriously, the deep creek area is lovely, and if you promise not to be disappointed with the slope, then you will enjoy yourself.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
130 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wisp?

Timberline in WV is a good alternative to Snowshoe IMHO. They have an honest 1,000 ft. vertical.

http://timberlineresort.com/Winter/

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1 post
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wisp?

I agree Timberline is good skiing, with plenty of ski in ski out both with the hotel and condo/house rentals.

Though smaller the terrain is as good, or better than snowshoe, but half the distance and half the prices, and half the crowds.

As someone who skis out west often, snowshoe is just too far away, too expensive, and too crowded to justify from baltimore/dc. at 7 hours drive and over $200 a day likely with lodging, I can just as easily fly to Utah where the skiing is 1000% times better.

Edited: 19 January 2013, 16:18
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
823 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wisp?

I skied Timberline last year and enjoyed their terrain quite a bit. As an added bonus Canaan Valley Ski Area is only 5 minutes down the road from them making for a pretty good one two punch. Canaan Valley's terrain is good as well and makes a nice compliment to T Line. Definitely no crowds at either plcae (even more so at Canaan) but the lifts at T-Line are the slowest I think i have ever ridden.

I appreciate all the responses and I was all ready to book a trip to Wisp when I found a killer deal to Vermont. For just a little more I am going to Killington in a few weeks! I have never skied north of WV on the east coast so it should be interesting to see how it stacks up to the western resorts.

Reply to: Wisp?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about McHenry
Recent Conversations