We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation from Pittsburgh Airport to Oakland, MD?

1 post
Save Topic
Transportation from Pittsburgh Airport to Oakland, MD?

Hello,

I'm having a wedding at Deep Creek Lake this summer and I know that the closest major airport is Pittsburgh. Does anyone know if there is public transportation available from the airport to Deep Creek Lake area. Or would all guests need to rent cars?

4 replies to this topic
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
5,047 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation from Pittsburgh Airport to Oakland, MD?

It's over 100 miles--definitely no existing public transportation. If you have a lot of guests coming in on the same flights or at relatively the same time, you might want to contact a Pittsburgh transportation company and look into arranging a shuttle bus--perhaps gauge the level of interest on a reply card from the out-of-towners. Smaller shares could be done in an Uber XL for about $250 (those hold about six passengers). The smallest Uber would run about $175.

All that having been said, I suspect anyone capable of driving will probably want to rent their own car.

Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,735 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation from Pittsburgh Airport to Oakland, MD?

Greyhound runs 2+ buses per day from Pittsburgh to Morgantown, WV. If one is conveniently time, another option would be for someone with a vehicle already in Oakland MD to pick them up there.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
5,047 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation from Pittsburgh Airport to Oakland, MD?

It's actually Grey Line, not Greyhound that runs those buses, at 10 a.m. and 9:10 p.m. Then, in addition to time you've been waiting around the airport, after your 1.5-2.5 hour drive to Morgantown, you're still 50+ miles/one hour from Deep Creek. It's not guaranteed to wind up like "Planes, Trains and Automobiles," but it's not the kind of adventure I'd want to start off as a guest to a wedding weekend. Driven directly, 100 miles/two hours. In my mind, the only question is whether you drive that yourself, or hire someone to do it. YMMV.

Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,735 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation from Pittsburgh Airport to Oakland, MD?

Before I posted I went to the Greyhound website and checked their schedule, and I trust that before any wedding guest decides to use them they would do the same. What the Greyhound (not Grey LIne) scheduling tool sent back to me was that on the two days I checked they had buses leaving at 10:30 am, 3:25 pm. and 8:40 p.m.. 2+ hour trip, $25. I'd rent a car too, but if it's a situation where someone on a student-loans budget lands at say 1 pm, can get a lift back to PIT after the wedding, and doesn't want to pay for several days' otherwise-unnecessary car rental or the equally pricey options given in #1, and also doesn't want to make someone drive multiple hours to pick them up, the bus would be worth considering.

Reply to: Transportation from Pittsburgh Airport to Oakland, MD?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about McHenry
Recent Conversations