We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pond w/ cabin rentals, swimming and kayaking

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
5 posts
36 reviews
Pond w/ cabin rentals, swimming and kayaking

We're looking for a small cabin on a pond or smaller lake without motorized boats . Our main interests are swimming, kayaking and wildlife watching. There are some nice-sounding cabins at Quimby Pond, but someone commented that it was too shallow to swim.

5 replies to this topic
Boston...
Level Contributor
2,582 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Pond w/ cabin rentals, swimming and kayaking

I haven't stayed on Quimby Pond but am familiar with the Rangeley area. Quimby Pond is 6-12' in depth.

We stay on Rangeley Lake and love it, but there are some motorized boats (and a plane that takes off and lands on the water!). I think Loon Lake doesn't allow motors, but a contact with the Chamber of Commerce would help clarify.

When we rent in the area, we have used VRBO as well as a local real estate company. The staff at the company have been fantastic each time we have used their services. Check out the summer rental section of their web site for a sense of what is available -

rangeleyrentals.com/rangeley-vacation-rental…

Enjoy the area -- one of our favorite places in Maine!

Bangor, Maine
Level Contributor
53 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Pond w/ cabin rentals, swimming and kayaking

The Rangely area which was mentioned above is an option. I would also consider going towards the Baxter State Park region, (North Maine Woods). There are several smaller ponds which offer cabin rentals where moose and other wildlife are seen daily and do not allow motorized boats.

Tim

Acadia Safaris

hudson valley
Level Contributor
3,190 posts
3. Re: Pond w/ cabin rentals, swimming and kayaking

If you want a bit of isolation you should definitely check VRBO and see what you find. If you don't mind company you might investigate Papoose Pond Resort, between Rangely and Sebago. I haven't stayed there since I was a kid so I can't offer a current review, but it may fit your requirements. There's a modest pond, perhaps 1/2 mile long, and we had no problems swimming in it. Plenty of choices for cabins, from very simple to fairly comfortable. The pond has an outlet to a modest river that may expand the kayakng opportunities as long as you don't have long touring kayaks.

I'm sure there are plenty of other good choices in that general area, but nothing I've got even ancient knowledge of.

Oak Ridge, New...
Level Contributor
109 posts
1 review
4. Re: Pond w/ cabin rentals, swimming and kayaking

Do you know where these are at?

I am looking for something half way from Newport to Baxter near the Four Adventure Bicycle trail.

Bangor, Maine
Level Contributor
53 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Pond w/ cabin rentals, swimming and kayaking

Do a search for camp rentals on Branch Lake, Green Lake, Pushaw Lake and Beech hill pond. All of these would put you within twenty minutes of Bangor, and less than an hour from Acadia region, Newport, and Baxter. There are dozens of smaller ponds in this area as well but too many to list here. Start with a search based on the lakes above and get idea of what's around the area.

Tim

Acadia Safaris

Reply to: Pond w/ cabin rentals, swimming and kayaking
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Rangeley