We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

scenic days out

hampshire
Level Contributor
92 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
scenic days out

Hi guys, we are staying here for 3 nights from Oct 3rd and looking for some day trips out, looking for off the beaten track as possible for scenery, one day north towards Greenville, one day east towards the coast, any ideas please would be welcome, villages to visit, any wildlife tips, don't mind doing 300 miles a day if need be... also a nice village to stop for lunch on each day

Then any ideas for a route to get to Kennebunkport after this, again don't mind taking all day as long as its scenic, and away from the crowds and traffic.

Thanks

Paul

2 replies to this topic
Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
7,178 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: scenic days out

Have come up with a suggested route for your requested destinations... but at least two will require fairly long drives and days. In Maine, most of the mountain ranges and major rivers run essentially north-south, making east-west travel a challenge in some places. In other parts of the state, the lack of population and demand for forest products over the years has limited road and highway development, so your Greenville and coastal trips from Rangeley will require some duplication of routes....

RANGELEY-GREENVILLE-RANGELEY

Leave Rangeley headed south on Rt 4 toward Farmington. In the small town of Strong, turn left onto ME Rt 145, go a short ways on 145, then turn right onto ME Rts 149/234 (they run together for a ways). When 149 andn 234 split,follow Rt 234 through the town of New Vineyard (where it's joined by Rt 27 and they run together). When Rts 27 and 234 split, turn right to stay on 234 toward Rt 201A in North Anson. In North Anson, turn left on Rt 201A and follow it for about 7 miles to US 201 in Solon. Turn left onto 201 for about 8 miles through the town of Bingham. Just north of Bingham, turn right onto ME Rt 16, Follow Rt 16 for about 25 miles to its junction with ME Rt 15. Turn left onto Rt 16 and follow it for about 20 miles to Greenville. When you're ready to leave Greenville, continue north on ME Rt 16 (not back the way you came) toward Jackman. Follow Rt 16 for about 45 miles to US Rt 201. Turn left on US Rt 201 toward Solon and Skowhegan. Follow 201 south to Solon, where you turn right on US 201A (the same road you came up in the morning). Follow US 201A for only about 1 mile to ME Rt 16 West. Turn left onto Rt 16 west toward Kinfield. Continue to follow Rt 16 through Kingfield and past the Sugarloaf USA ski area to Stratton, where it makes a left-hand turn toward Rangeley. Follow Rt 16 back to Rangeley. This route will cover about 280 miles and, not counting stops, will likely take six to six and one half hours driving time. Along the way, you'll see some of the western Maine mountains, the area around Moosehead Lake in Greenville, lots of Maine forestland and foliage, the scenic Kennebec River valley between Jackman and Solon, the Carrabasset River Valley between Kingfield and Stratton, and more great scenery on Rt 16 from Stratton to Rangeley. It's also quite possible that you'll spot a moose somewhere between Stratton and Rangeley. Bear in mind that sunset in early October in Rangeley can be as early as 6:30PM and, since most car-moose collisions in Maine occur after dark, it would be wise to be back in Rangeley by then. As far as possible lunch stops along the way, it's been a while since I was up that way, and without knowing when you plan to leave Rangeley, it's tough to know just where you'll be at lunchtime. My best advice would be, since you'll have several miles of woods and rural countryside between populated areas, I'd find a likely spot wherever you happen to be at lunchtime and not count on multiple opportunities "just a little further down the road."

RANGELEY COASTAL LOOP

Head south from Rangeley toward Farmington on ME Rt 4. Follow Rt 4 to its junction with US Rt 2 in Farminton. Turn left onto US Rt 2 East for about 20 miles to Rt 139 in Norridgewock. In downtown Norridgewock, Rt 2 makes a sharp left turn, instead, you go straight ahead onto ME Rt 139 toward Fairfield and Waterville. Follow ME Rt 139 through Fairfield, Benton and Unity to its junction with ME Rt 7 in Brooks (about 40 miles from where you got onto Rt 139 in Norridgewock). Turn right onto ME Rt 7 and follow it into downtown Belfast (a nice little coastal community). From Belfast, head south on US Rt 1 to the coastal communities of Camden, Rockport and Rockland. When you're ready to leave Rockland, head west on ME Rt 17 toward Augusta. Follow Rt 17 for about 30 miles to the town of Windsor (ME Rt 32 will join Rt 17 en route). In Windsor, turn right onto ME Rt 32 North toward China and follow Rt 32 to its intersection with ME Rt 3/US Rt 202 in South China. Turn left onto ME Rt 3 toward Augusta and follow it for about 15 miles to the junction of ME Rt 3 and ME Rt 27 (crossing a large bridge over the Kennebec River en route -- the city of Augusta will be off to your left as you cross the bridge). Turn right onto ME Rt 27 and follow it north to Farmington, where ME Rt 4 joins Rt 27. On the far side of Farmington (just follow 4/27 through town), Rt 27 goes right but you keep left on Rt 4 back to Rangeley. This trip should cover about 270 miles and take about six hours not counting stops along the way. It takes you through some of the western Maine mountains, across the rolling farmland east of Farmington, through the hills and valleys (great scenery) between Unity and Brooks, to the coastal communities of Belfast, Camden and Rockland (check out the Mt Battie Auto Road in Camden Hills State Park on Rt 1 just north of Camden, Camden Harbor in the heart of downntown, and the Rockland Breakwater and Lighthouse), through rolling countryside between Rockland and Augusta, through the scenic Belgrade Lakes region, and back to Rangeley.

RANGELEY TO KENNEBUNKPORT

From Rangeley, head north on Rt 4 toward Oquossoc. In Oquossoc, turn left onto ME Rt 17 toward Mexico and Rumford. Follow Rt 17 south (watch for the scenic turnout on your right as you head downhill after climbing the height-of-land -- great scenery) to its junction with US Rt 2 in Mexico. Turn right onto US Rt 2 west toward Bethel. Follow US Rt 2 to its junction with ME Rt 26 in Bethel. Take Rt 26 south toward South Paris and Norway. Follow Rt 26 south through South Paris, Norway, and Poland to Gray, ME, where Rt 26 bears left andn Rt 26A bears right. Bear right to follow Rt 26A a short distance to its junction with US 202. Turn right onto US 202 and follow it until it intersects with ME Rt 111. Turn oeft onto ME Rt 111 and follow it to Kennebunk, where you can pick up ME Rt 9 to Kennebunkport. This route covers about 175 miles and should take about four hours not counting stops. One possibility for an extended en route stop might be the Maine Wildlife Park on Rt 26 in Gray, ME. Operated by the Maine Department of Inland Fish and Wildlife, it is home to almost every animal native to Maine, housed in areas intended to duplicate their natural habitat. Think moose, bear, deer, raccoon, skunk, etc. etc. You can Google it for info, photos, hours, etc.

hampshire
Level Contributor
92 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: scenic days out

Oh wow, so helpful most appreciated

Paul and Suzie, 3 days until we leave

Reply to: scenic days out
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Rangeley