We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maine Vacation 2017

Guaynabo, Puerto...
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Maine Vacation 2017

Hi all! My wife and I are planning a vacation to Maine from 7/2-7/12 so around 10 days. We've been to Ogunquit and had a great time but we're thinking of spending a few days on a lake and then maybe a few days on the coast as well. We're both in late 30s and love lots of restaurant and bar options but not looking to go broke in the process! Any help would be greatly appreciated as we don't even know where to start (Rangeley? Moosehead? Camden?). Please help with any and all suggestions!!!

3 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
6,809 posts
7 reviews
1. Re: Maine Vacation 2017

For that time period you'd have to find out where, exactly, still has availability. It's a popular holiday week for travel and anything lakeside is probably only available by the full week, if at all.

The Camden area has a few lakes nearby.....Cedar Crest has availability and is walking distance to plenty of dining. Glenmoor by the Sea & Ledges by the Bay are right on the water, but you have to drive to all your restaurants.

None of these will have availability a week from now, probably. Find something "cancellable" and lock it in or you'll be out of luck before too long.

Berwick, Maine...
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
2. Re: Maine Vacation 2017

Just a thought... because you might be interested in cycling (can't imagine where I got that idea).

Sometimes the best deals in Maine vacationing is to find that B&B or cottage rental that is a bit inland or offshore from your coastal or lake destination. Here are some real gems for activities that are all a stone's throw from the Camden/Lincolnville area.

1) Sweetgrass Farm Winery and Distillery - huge thumbs up

2) take the ferry from Lincolnville to Islesboro with your bike for a jaunt - paved road with little traffic; not much in way of vistas

3) hiking in the Camden Hills State Park or surrounding area

4) Schooner Surprise - a slightly smaller therefore faster schooner; daily sails from Camden

As for "lots of restaurant and bar options" I can't think of any lakeside community that has more than just a small-ish grocery store and town deli and/or gas station. Great Pond near Waterville has decent recreational opportunities though.

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
4,247 posts
10 reviews
3. Re: Maine Vacation 2017

I think you might enjoy the Rangeley Lakes region. Here's an idea of dining choices in that area:

http://www.rangeley-maine.com/dining/

Reply to: Maine Vacation 2017
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Rangeley