We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Frozen lobster packed for flying?

Palatine, Illinois
Level Contributor
471 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Frozen lobster packed for flying?

Mail order lobster is very costly and I thought while I am in Portland next month perhaps there are places that pack it for travel and I can save some money. I will be about 6-7 hours in transit via bus/plane/taxi and will be able to check a suitcase for free on the plane. Any recommendations?

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Level Contributor
904 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Frozen lobster packed for flying?

Harbor Fish Market does mail order and also will pack to travel.

http://www.harborfish.com/

Palatine, Illinois
Level Contributor
471 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Frozen lobster packed for flying?

Thanks very much for the suggestion. I have relatives in Portland but they do not eat lobster and were not aware of this store.

Mentioned in this post
Phippsburg, Maine
Level Contributor
335 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Frozen lobster packed for flying?

Just so you know, most of the local lobster pounds will pack lobster to go, but it is live lobster, not frozen. The lobsters will be hard shell, which costs a bit more than what is typically available in summer, and will be packed in wet seaweed with blue ice blocks. The bugs can stay alive for up to 24 hours this way.

Recent TSA inspection requirements may require you to open the boxes for visual inspection if you chose to carry them aboard, which I would do rather than check them.

That said, it's a great way to take some Maine flavor home with you.

Edited: 12 June 2014, 01:39
Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
Palatine, Illinois
Level Contributor
471 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Frozen lobster packed for flying?

Thanks you h0tredderedbum: I have given up on cooking live lobster. Becoming more squeamish in my old age I guess.

United States
Level Contributor
2,141 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Frozen lobster packed for flying?

I have traveled east coast to west coast with frozen lobster meat before. The trick is to get all of the water out of the container and pack it tightly. We bought a pound of fresh-picked lobster meat which was about $30 per pound but contained all the meat of 3 or 4 lobsters. It is sold in little pint containers like deli salad. We removed all the water/liquid from the container and then packed the meat a bit more tightly by pressing a ball of plastic wrap on top. Make sure it is very tight. Tape it shut. We froze it and on travel day we put it into a freezer bag with a small blue freezer block. Then this into a Ziploc in case of any leakage. We put it into our checked baggage because this travels in a cold section of the plane. We were surprised that on arrival it was still frozen solid. Defrost by placing into fridge for 24 hours before eating. If it is mostly defrosted when you arrive then I would not re-freeze as the quality will suffer.

6. Re: Frozen lobster packed for flying?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 June 2015, 05:16