We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

VRBO etc. for Peaks Island

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
106 posts
2 reviews
VRBO etc. for Peaks Island

My husband and I are considering vacationing for a week on Peaks Island next summer and most rentals are through VRBO, Homeaway, etc. which I've never used. We don't travel much, and usually will stay at a chain hotel or book via a rental company. It's the first time we have been anywhere for a whole week in ten years and just need some reassurance I suppose. Most rentals don't have that many reviews, which is understandable since Peaks is kind of isolated. Suggestions welcome. Thanks.

Maine
Level Contributor
925 posts
101 reviews
1. Re: VRBO etc. for Peaks Island

I've rented houses in other parts of the world and always use a local rental agent so as to have someone nearby to deal with any issues that might arise. You might try Ashmore - http://www.ashmorerealty.com/rentals.php.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
106 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: VRBO etc. for Peaks Island

Thanks, I will check that out =)

New Iberia...
Level Contributor
330 posts
26 reviews
3. Re: VRBO etc. for Peaks Island

I have used VRBO about 5 times and never have I had any problems. I was always a little leary but everything always went as planned. Take the plunge!

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
106 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: VRBO etc. for Peaks Island

Thanks for your input. I thought that if I did go with VRBO it would take a bit of interaction with owners and research on my end to make it work out. I think if it feels right, I will know it =)

boston,ma.
Level Contributor
570 posts
294 reviews
5. Re: VRBO etc. for Peaks Island

You'll love Peaks Island. We have been going there to visit family for years and it's constant ferry service to Portland( a great city) make it the perfect place for someone looking for a quiet place and beautiful place.

You might also try:

www.portisland.com

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
106 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: VRBO etc. for Peaks Island

To ricka..

Thanks so much for the encouragement! I am really looking forward this as we haven't been anywhere for sooo long. I did check out portisland.com and saw some nice looking rentals.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
24 posts
16 reviews
7. Re: VRBO etc. for Peaks Island

Probably much to late to help OP, but for the community, we've also used VBRO and several others. Results have ranged from excellent to merely 'good'.

For us, a 'good' rating is generally because the place is a bit too plain or the kitchen isn't as expected - we tend to prefer modern, upscale places.

Our pet peeve is when the place is chock full of the owner's stuff.

The agencies have no way of knowing details like that (except from customer feedback) nor do I have any suggestions, although a robust email interchange with the owner will probably reveal enough about personalities to give you some idea of what kind of a place they keep/rent.

The bottom line is that we'll continue to use those services. When we're going to 'chill' in a place for at least 3 days, we really enjoy having an apartment instead of a hotel room. It's just more comfortable.

Note that Tripadvisor has their own service - click on Vacation Rentals above. It's one of the better ones - well organized, good descriptions, and real-time availability, iirc.

If you have the time and inclination, do spend some time on the Internet to track down your ideal place. You'll find more and more places as you explore using different search terms, including places offered by presumably "local" brokers (who may or may not know more than the global agencies.)

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
106 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: VRBO etc. for Peaks Island

Just a follow-up, found the perfect place through HomeAway with super responsive owners and some great detailed reviews.Thanks to all who offered help. I read trip advisor forums a lot, and it always seems like a cliff-hanger if the OP doesn't wrap things up. lol

Maine
Level Contributor
15 posts
8 reviews
9. Re: VRBO etc. for Peaks Island

Hello there,

What are your concerns? I don't even dare try to reassure without knowing what you are looking for. Maine has a little of everything, so it depends.

I know the owner of one property on Peaks. This is a unique property because it is on a sandy beach (a rarity on the Maine coast). The tide actually comes up under the house. It has three bedrooms, although one is tiny. Wally decided to not renovate the home because he decided it would ruin it's 1800's summer house feeling. Because of that the kitchen and bath are very vintage/basic. Although, that may have changed as I have not been in touch with this family in years. Having grown up in Maine, I can vouch for the authenticity of this cottage, and the fact that Wally is a good guy. The view from the cottage is over a little passage between Peaks and nearby islands, and watching the sailboats slip by is not something you forget. The deck is new, and wraps around three sides of the house. This is walking distance from the ferry, so you will not need a taxi unless you have a lot of bags. The other thing to know is that because of it's location on a sandy beach, it is not as isolated or private as some other cottages. Best of luck! http://www.scenicrentals.com/property/3750

10. Re: VRBO etc. for Peaks Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2014, 05:18