We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is Old Orchard Beach like? Is it quiet?

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
98 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
What is Old Orchard Beach like? Is it quiet?

Hi!

The booking website I've been looking at says that Old Orchard Beach is popular for it's Bars and live music. We aren't interested in either of these things :-) I am looking at booking a round there at the end of September but we like things sort of peaceful. Should we be looking somewhere else? The hotels there are far less expensive than surrounding areas and I was curious about that, too :-)

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Mentioned in this post
Old Orchard Beach
Old Orchard Beach
1,317 Reviews
Old Orchard Beach, ME
8 replies to this topic
Limerick, Maine
Level Contributor
1,449 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is Old Orchard Beach like? Is it quiet?

Old Orchard Beach has been a bustling summer destination for many years, popular with Canadians as well as Americans. The big draw is the 7 mile long sandy beach. If I could accurately describe it, I would say it is like Coney Island on a smaller scale. The beach is lined with many motels and small hotels, many right on the beach. Accommodations can vary. The busiest part has a pier and a beach side amusement park. Yes, there are local bars, many beach type shops, food stands, restaurants...all the sort of thing you would expect to find in thst type of beach location. The further you go towards the Scarbourough end, it is quieter and away from the busiest area. In mid to late September, things will have quieted down considerably. It would actually be a nice time to visit. You should reasonably priced accommodations then.

Mentioned in this post
Old Orchard Beach
Old Orchard Beach
1,317 Reviews
Old Orchard Beach, ME
Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
98 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is Old Orchard Beach like? Is it quiet?

Thank you! I've never been to Coney Island but it sounds like Santa Monica Pier which is busy but great :-)

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
98 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is Old Orchard Beach like? Is it quiet?

Brenda, would you stay in Portland or Old Orchard Beach?

Mentioned in this post
Old Orchard Beach
Old Orchard Beach
1,317 Reviews
Old Orchard Beach, ME
Limerick, Maine
Level Contributor
1,449 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is Old Orchard Beach like? Is it quiet?

Depends upon what you are looking for.

Portland is a more sophisticated destination. It is well known as a " foodie " city, and has some great restaurants. The Old Port area, with cobblestone streets and a working waterfront is the place to go for restaurants, bars, shops etc...

Old Orchard does have a beautiful beach, but lacks alot of sophistication and great restaurants. Yes, there is street food, some seafood places etc...but I always found most of the shops tacky, the restaurants not bad but ordinary.

If I had a choice, I would go to Portland. You could always stop by Old Orchard for a day, walk around, get some salt water taffy, have lunch, walk the beach. I would recommend you do that if you have time. Just to stretch your legs and walk the beach is great fun.

Edited: 01 September 2017, 22:51
Mentioned in this post
Old Port
Old Port
1,016 Reviews
Portland, ME
Limerick, Maine
Level Contributor
1,449 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is Old Orchard Beach like? Is it quiet?

If you find the hotels in Portland too expensive, an alternate is to stay outside the city ( about a 10-15 minute drive ) near the Maine Mall in South Portland. There are a number of chain hotels that are more reasonably priced. It is easy to get into the city from there. Here is a link to give you some idea of what hotels are near the mall.

https:/…accommodations.html

Edited: 01 September 2017, 22:58
Mentioned in this post
Maine Mall
Maine Mall
87 Reviews
South Portland, ME
Level Contributor
6,002 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is Old Orchard Beach like? Is it quiet?

It's more like a county fair than Santa Monica.

Billowhouse on the quiet end of Old Orchard (Ocean Park) is very nice, but probably booked up through September.

What's your max budget per night? Are you looking for beach time, fall colors, fine dining, hiking, or what?

Mentioned in this post
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: What is Old Orchard Beach like? Is it quiet?

OOB as the locals call it is perhaps the least quietest beach in Maine. Head further up the coast and check out Popham, Reed or Sand Beach (Acadia)

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
Sand Beach
Sand Beach
731 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Acadia National Park
Acadia National Park
Mount Desert Island, ME
Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
98 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What is Old Orchard Beach like? Is it quiet?

Thank you :-)

Reply to: What is Old Orchard Beach like? Is it quiet?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Old Orchard Beach