We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maine mid-Aug.. help needed.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
89 posts
291 reviews
Maine mid-Aug.. help needed.

I just bought my plane tickets into Bangor for mid Aug. Leaving 6 days later. I love antiquing, quaint coastal towns, scenery, beaches and local food. I initially was going to do Bar Harbor for 3 nights then proceed north up the coast. But I am discovering so many things down the coast from Bar Harbor. Could someone please give a suggestion to how many days and where for not too miss parts of Maine. Thanks in advance!

14 replies to this topic
Boston...
Level Contributor
941 posts
13 reviews
11. Re: Maine mid-Aug.. help needed.

In general, you need to be away from the lights & pollution of the towns to actually have a good view of the stars. Considering the dense population of North East, there are very few spots for it. Its usually popular in the deserts of South West.

Acadia is your best bet. Check out the ranger program - Stars over sand beach - nps.gov/acad/planyourvisit/upload/RangerLedP…

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
12. Re: Maine mid-Aug.. help needed.

Yep, you're right -- I used to live in Nevada and you could see the stars really clearly. Living in Philly now, I never see them, so the bar is pretty low -- Maine is bound to have clearer skies. I'll definitely look into the ranger program. Thanks so much!

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
7,546 posts
9 reviews
13. Re: Maine mid-Aug.. help needed.

You don't need to do the ranger program, stars over sand beach. You can do it yourself. The park loop road stays open at night. Only the spur road to the top of Cadillac closes at midnight, which is to prevent people from camping up there. On Sand Beach even the lights of Bar Harbor are blocked by a mountain. You are looking out to open ocean. The stars, the Milky Way, even Andromena are visible when there is no fog. Another place, from which I've seen great nighttime photos, even the Aurora, is the south end of Jordan Pond in Acadia. But Sand Beach is the best, where you can lay back and watch the sky.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
14. Re: Maine mid-Aug.. help needed.

Wow, that sounds AMAZING. Thanks so much for the tips, Bonnie!

Reply to: Maine mid-Aug.. help needed.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Georgetown