We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maine mid-Aug.. help needed.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
89 posts
291 reviews
Maine mid-Aug.. help needed.

I just bought my plane tickets into Bangor for mid Aug. Leaving 6 days later. I love antiquing, quaint coastal towns, scenery, beaches and local food. I initially was going to do Bar Harbor for 3 nights then proceed north up the coast. But I am discovering so many things down the coast from Bar Harbor. Could someone please give a suggestion to how many days and where for not too miss parts of Maine. Thanks in advance!

14 replies to this topic
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
166 posts
479 reviews
1. Re: Maine mid-Aug.. help needed.

Have only been to the area 2 times but the drive on route 1 from Bar Harbor down to Boothbay Harbor is real nice. Have never been further than Bar Harbor.

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
36 posts
2. Re: Maine mid-Aug.. help needed.

There really isn't much more north up the coast from Bar Harbor unless you want to go into Canada. In fact, it's only about 2+ hrs to the border. If you really want to experience coastal Maine, head west on route #1. Beaches, shops, tourists, food etc abound. 3 nights in Bar Harbor will give you plenty of time to dive into all that area has including Acadia and surrounding towns. Perhaps 1 day/night you could head north to Campobello Island. Not sure if there is a border crossing or not now, but Lubec, ME is the eastern most point in the US. You could see the sun before anyone else in the US that day. Maybe the other days you could spend between Bar Harbor and Portland and hit everything in between. Now if you want to see the real "Maine", head north on 85 out of Bangor and forget the coast. Might compare more to Minnesota than you might like though (minus the cities and people)

Minnesota
Level Contributor
89 posts
291 reviews
3. Re: Maine mid-Aug.. help needed.

Thank you! !

Boston...
Level Contributor
941 posts
13 reviews
4. Re: Maine mid-Aug.. help needed.

If you are flying in & out of Bangor - After 3 nights at Acadia/Bar harbor, you could probably drive little bit down south to Rockland/Camden or Boothbay harbor for couple of nights. Then continue on to Portland for a couple of nights in the Maine's biggest city. From there you can loop back to Bangor to catch your flight.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
89 posts
291 reviews
5. Re: Maine mid-Aug.. help needed.

Hey thanks! So it seems like the conscenses is going south not north. I'm not a big fan of large cities so I may skip Portland.

Maine
Level Contributor
906 posts
6. Re: Maine mid-Aug.. help needed.

You'll find lots of antique shops travelling south on rtf 1. Check out The Big Chicken Barn just south of Ellsworth. A mix of antiques and world's largest garage sale. Also, you may not like big cities, but Portland is only 60,000 people, so not that big relatively. It's just big for Maine :)

Boston...
Level Contributor
941 posts
13 reviews
7. Re: Maine mid-Aug.. help needed.

Portland is big relative to Maine towns. It is a nice mid size city with a good waterfront district and many food choices.

Dublin, Ohio
Level Contributor
48 posts
14 reviews
8. Re: Maine mid-Aug.. help needed.

I'm heading to the Mid-Coast on Sunday for my annual summer vacation. Some things you might want to consider south of Acadia: Camden -- nice harbor town, touristy but worth a visit. Head further south to Rockland and the Farnsworth Museum, which has a nice collection of paintings from the Wyeth family. If you have time and just want to experience the coast, pick a few peninsulas and drive out to see the lighthouses -- Owl Head Light and Pemaquid are favorites.

Further south on US 1, head toward Boothbay. The Coastal Maine Botanical Garden is fantastic -- I visit there every time I'm in Maine. If you like to walk, plan on a couple hours then have lunch in the café. Boothbay Harbor is another cute, touristy town -- whale watching trips, shops, etc. I got a parking ticket there a couple years ago so watch where you park!

My "happy place" is Georgetown -- I stay here every summer. South of Wiscasset (lots of antique shops), head south on 127 and follow the road toward the water. Reid State Park has one of the few sandy beaches on the coast, and lots of trails to walk. Have lunch or dinner at Five Islands Lobster Company on the wharf. There are a few places to stay in the Georgetown area -- I've stayed in three different places for the past 20+ years. Very quiet and peaceful ... can't wait to get there!

As for Portland -- I agree with you - I avoid big cities when on vacation -- and with RelaxByTravel. It's a nice mid-size city with good shopping and great restaurants. Totally not a "big city" and I always find a reason to visit. Nice art museum as well.

Enjoy your trip!

Minnesota
Level Contributor
89 posts
291 reviews
9. Re: Maine mid-Aug.. help needed.

Thank you so much!! Kitty your post gives me lots to think about. Thinking of flying into Bangor and driving right down to Brunswick (but maybe do Georgetown Is-- it sounds great!). Staying there 2 nights then driving up. Kitty what places do you recommend to stay there?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
10. Re: Maine mid-Aug.. help needed.

Funny -- my boyfriend and I are planning a very similar trip! We are staying three nights in August at the Eden Village Cottages in Bar Harbor. We just reserved our cottage tonight. That's as far as we've gotten, but based on the replies here, we might head up north to Canada or we might head south. I'll definitely look into Boothbay Harbor, Rockland, Camden and the other places mentioned.

Does anyone know of any good stargazing spots along the coast?

Thanks so much!

Jennifer

Edited: 12 June 2014, 02:41
Reply to: Maine mid-Aug.. help needed.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Georgetown