We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kokomo IN

Illinois City...
Level Contributor
25 posts
53 reviews
Kokomo IN

Does anyone live in Kokomo? My daughter is considering moving there, but has never been there. Can anyone give me any general or specific information. I would really appreciate it. She has never been there either, but her company wants to move her there almost immediately.

Please. Help

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
9,372 posts
22 reviews
1. Re: Kokomo IN

May I suggest you try entering "Kokomo Indiana" into a Google search?

You'll get a few hundred thousand webpages, most of which will be worthless, but the first half-dozen or so should be able to get you some pretty good information. These include (besides this forum): the city's website, a wikipedia page, the visitor's bureau, the local paper's website, a "city data" website, the webpage for Indiana University's Kokomo campus . . . . Not only will these have a lot of the information you seek, they will undoubtedly have links to other websites which in turn will lead to others . . . .

You might try the same with "Howard County Indiana" as this is the county which Kokomo is located in (and is the county seat for) and Tipton County (which is part of the general Kokomo area) and/or other nearby counties.

Not sure asking your question here is going to do much good as: a) you should notice it is a very low traffic forum (yours being the first & only post so far) - Kokomo just isn't on the top of everyone's travel list, b) thus, the number of people that will see is likely to be very low, and, c) your question is so broad that it doesn't lend itself to the type of questions that TA does a great job of answering (i.e. rather specific travel related questions).

Hope this helps,

hlo

Illinois City...
Level Contributor
25 posts
53 reviews
2. Re: Kokomo IN

Yes. This does help and I thank you for taking the time to answer my question. I was wondering if I was going to get any answers at all so I was more than happy to receive yours. I have looked at the websites that you mentioned, but I was hoping to hear from someone that actually lived in Kokomo. Sight not seen, websites do not paint a very pretty picture. In the Wikipedia article, it states that in 2008 Forbes magazine listed Kokomo as the 3rd most fasting dying town in America. When I looked into the police report for the last month, it did not report a very pretty picture either.

Being I have a daughter that is considering moving to Kokomo, (but has not yet had the opportunity to visit) I was looking for some positive news about the community.

Do you live there?

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
9,372 posts
22 reviews
3. Re: Kokomo IN

No, I don't live in Kokomo, if you check my avatar/profile, you'll see that I live in Bloomington a town about 50 miles south of Indianapolis.

I kind of doubt you're going to get any real help on the TA forum (and it's worth noting until recently relocation questions were *totally* verbotan, this rule has be relaxed a little). I mention this, because there is a chance TA may delete this topic (but I doubt it). The problem is that smaller & less popular destinations on TA typically don't get a bunch of TA traffic from the locals. At least part of this is simply because there are fewer of them (compared to major cities).

My experience is that even for popular & high traffic destinations/forums a lot of the regular posters don't live in/near the destination. (For example, I used to live in San Francisco and still frequent the forum.)

Off the top of my head, I can't think any good places to look for a forum which might be populated by Kokomo locals - wait - does the newspaper website have a forum? Beyond that try google searches and/or look for blogs by locals.

Also, I hope you would take any comments on forums (TA and otherwise) with a grain of salt; particularly ones that seem extreme (either way). I know I am skeptical of the vast majority of "worst hotel ever" reviews I see on TA; and actual experiences have proven this to be correct. (I've stayed at some of these and have never had a bad experience, much less a "worst."

Anyway, glad I could help, hope this is more help,

hlo

indpls
Level Contributor
105 posts
24 reviews
4. Re: Kokomo IN

I live about 30 minutes from Kokomo. I don't necessarily think its any more crime ridden than other cities or else I would be hearing about it in the news more. LOL.

Yes, it is a dying town bc the auto industry plants dominated the city for years. GM, Delphi and Chrysler to be specific. However the last time I went thru the expressway it looked no different wrt business closings or empty buildings than any other mid sized cities in the midwest currently.

It's an industrial town like many others in the midwest that are currently struggling.

Many of the professionals employed in Kokomo choose to live in Hamilton county which is just south of there and commute (less than an hour drive)...not bc of the crime but bc of the better schools and more vibrant parks, restaurants, etc. Many of my neighbors ( I live in Hamilton county) work Kokomo and commute.

There is an IUKokomo (extension of Indiana University) there which many commute too also. Also a respected hospital. It's a ways from any major interstates but US 31 goes thru there which is the highway that connects Indpls to South Bend area.

I don't think Kokomo is a death sentence by any means but it is struggling with higher rated of foreclosure than some cities.

Kokomo
5 posts
5. Re: Kokomo IN

Hello! I just came across your post about Kokomo today. I hope this information is not too late in your daughter's decision to move. I would suggest visiting the following websites (if you have not already):

www.cityofkokomo.org

www.kokomochamber.com

www.visitkokomo.org

www.howard-county.net

These websites paint a pretty good picture of the city of Kokomo. I would consider Kokomo to be a family-friendly city with relatively low crime when compared to similar cities. There are a lot of great changes and additions in Downtown Kokomo, which I think tells a lot about a city. New infrastructure, 13 new businesses and restaurants this year, beautification, etc. Kokomo also boasts lots of great restaurants, parks, special events and festivals, and affordable housing costs. Population is approximately 46,000 people.

Please feel free to call me if you have any questions about Kokomo or need further information!

Sherry Matlock

Kokomo Indiana Visitors Bureau

800-837-0971

www.visitkokomo.org

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
9,372 posts
22 reviews
6. Re: Kokomo IN

Regarding your crime observations, I am reminded of a recent topic on the San Francisco forum, basically someone was posting questions about how safe (actually how dangerous) it was in the major tourist sections of SF. Much to the surprise of the locals & regular posters.

The reason for the poster's concern? Her(?) spouse had googled "San Francisco crime" and found all sorts of stuff about crime in SF. One response pointed out that this shouldn't have been too surprising (nor necessarily particularly alarming) . . . basically they "surprise" found what they were looking for; probably shouldn't be too shocked that you find stuff about crime when you looked for it.

While I (obviously?) can't speak to the crime situation in Kokomo, but it seems to me that someone who has "looked" for crime in Kokomo shouldn't be too shocked when they find it.

To but things in perspective, I suggest you do similar research in your town, where you daughter is currently living, or just about anywhere else you are familiar with. In my opinion, this will be a better comparison and put things into perspective (particularly if you can find the same sort of crime report data for both areas), just remember to adjust for differences in population. One shouldn't be shocked to find out (and be in fear because) that NYC has more murders than, say, Bloomington, Indiana.

Lastly, and this sort of thing was just reported for Bloomington, don't let percentage changes blur the picture too much either. (And, I confess I don't remember the exact numbers, what I use are to illustrate the principle.) It was just reported that Bloomington's crime rate was up something like 37%. Well, if there were 3 murders two years ago and 5 murders last year, that would be a 66% increase! But (and I'm not trying to minimize the impact on people's lives), the reality is that in absolute numbers there were only two additional deaths in a city of over 50,000 people. This is not a change that is going to suddenly cause me to freak out and fear for my safety.

Hope that makes sense, I've got to post without reviewing - forgive me for spelling & grammar errors -

hlo

7. Re: Kokomo IN

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2011, 06:38
Get answers to your questions about Kokomo
Recent Conversations