We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Women's get away weekend

Which Indianapolis hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Iowa
6 posts
Save Topic
Women's get away weekend

My three friends and I are meeting in Indianapolis on a Thursday-Saturday. We are all moms and are looking for a fun 'get-away' weekend. Good place to stay? Fun things to do? Good places to eat? Thanks!

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
7,984 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Women's get away weekend

Welcome to TA!

It would help if you gave us more information. A general rule on the TA forums is that more information in your question leads to more & better responses. We'd rather provide a list of things you're likely to enjoy then just a generic list of "the usual suspects.". One person's must see/do thing is another person's bored to tears.

If you can give us some likes/dislikes of you & your group it would help. Do you like/dislike: shopping, museums, nature/outdoor things, music/arts, history, dining/drinking, sports, etc. and, for most of the you can add a "what kind" question.

If you give us something to work with, we ca tailor our suggestion improving the odds you'll like them.

All this said, downtown is the default suggested place to stay and, barring a good reason, iit would be the area I suggest you look at staying.

hlo

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
68 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Women's get away weekend

I did this exact thing with a few girlfriends this past weekend - we had a blast! We only had one night though. We stayed at The Hyatt Place on Keystone (right by the Fashion Mall). It worked great for us because they have suites and free breakfast - plus it is only a mile or two from almost every store imaginable. We had dinner at The Melting Pot which people either love or hate but we had a great time and I'd definitely recommend it for a fun meal out with a group of girls.

As HLO said, it'd be helpful to get some more insight into what you like to do. If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to try to help!

Iowa
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Women's get away weekend

Well, I suppose we are looking for a hotel that would be close to fun shopping and/or nightlife. We are looking for some fun nightlife for Thurs/Friday nights. Bars/shows/entertainment...we also like to drink wine.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
7,984 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Women's get away weekend

Based on your original posting & additional info, I still think downtown is the place to be.

You'll have the most shopping/eating/drinking options in the most compact area (and plenty of hotels to choose from) with pretty much everything within a short/reasonable walking distance of just about any of the hotels. "Mass Ave" is also an area close to downtown (but a semi-reasonable walk - I'm guessing ~1 mile or so), that you might want to check out. If you decided it was too far to walk, it would be a short/inexpensive cab ride and give you a few blocks of shops, restaurants, etc. to expand your choices.

If I had to pick a second choice area to stay, I suppose the Keystone Crossing would probably be my suggestion. It's a semi-reasonable option too, but the you won't have as many (walkable) options and similarly, there won't be as many hotel options. If you're willing to drive (or walk a little farther) there will be many more options, but overall it's more of a suburban (strip mall) area rather than compact urban like downtown (i.e. really need to drive in order to have nearly as many options).

Lastly, probably worth mentioning Broadripple. It's running to the east of College at ~62nd(?) street. It has a critical mass of restaurants, bars, nightclubs, etc; but there really aren't any hotels in the area. I mention it because you might check it out and if you decide it interests you, you could cab from downtown.

Hope this helps,

hlo

Indianapolis, IN
Level Contributor
114 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Women's get away weekend

As a woman, if shopping is on the agenda, I say you'll be happier staying at Keystone at the Crossing and the Fashion Mall rather than downtown. Presumably you'll have a car and there are additional shopping areas around the Fashion Mall. Being downtown you'll be limited to just the mall and although it is a nice mall, the shopping on the north side is better and has a better mix of high end and lower end retailers, plus there are 2 malls within just a few miles of each other.

The downtown mall now has just one anchor (Carson Pirie Scott) plus all the usual mall tenants that you see at most malls. The north side has a few stores that are exclusive to that area such as Saks 5th Ave., Nordstrom, Container Store, Nordstrom's The Rack, Crate & Barrel, The North Face store, The Apple Store, and a huge TJ Maxx, etc... Not all of these are in the Fashion Mall, but the ones that aren't are just a few miles away.

6. Re: Women's get away weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 14:41