We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best hotel for bicycle riders

Keller, Texas
Level Contributor
554 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Best hotel for bicycle riders

We are traveling thru Indiana with our bikes and have an extra night to stay. Thinking about downtown Indianapolis (never been). I have been reading about the great bike trails in and around downtown. I would love recommendations for a hotel downtown that we can stay this Friday night (7/13). We would like to leave from the hotel with bikes and jump right on the trail. I appreciate any suggestions ASAP

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Indiana
Indiana
United States
4 replies to this topic
Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
9,232 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best hotel for bicycle riders

Pretty much any of the downtown hotels will be fine for your purposes. Unlike many larger cities none of the downtown hotels in Indy need to be avoided and none of them are in areas that need to be avoided. Now, obviously, some are nicer than others and some will be closer (or farther) from specific things, but (again) none of them are dumps nor are their surroundings unsafe.

I'm going to guess that the farthest two apart are probably no more than about a 15 minute walk from each other so they're all going to do just fine for accessing the downtown trails, Canal Walk, restaurants/bars, etc. (Again though, obviously, some will be closer to some things than others.)

I'd say one factor you might want to consider is parking costs. Almost all the downtown hotels charge for parking (and the cost varies a fair amount), so I'd be sure to factor that into your cost calculations.

Do you have a preferences for a type of hotel that we could use to point you in the right direction: budget, brand loyalty, "flavor" (modern, boutique, etc.), want a hotel bar/restaurant, or ????.

Beyond that? I'd say check the TA reviews/rankings,

hlo

Mentioned in this post
Indy Hostel
Indy Hostel
179 Reviews
Indianapolis, IN
Keller, Texas
Level Contributor
554 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best hotel for bicycle riders

Ok great. We love boutique hotels. Mid to high price is good. Thanks

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
9,232 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best hotel for bicycle riders

When I think of downtown boutique hotels, I think of the Canterbury . . . but there's one problem . . . it's not the Canterbury anymore. I know it redone/branded and I *think* it's Le Meridian (or something like that) and I don't know exactly how the renovation went and whether they kept the "flavor" or changed it (such as going modern).

Off the top of my head, I'd probably call the Omni as closer to boutique rather then anything (I might call it "old school" as it's not particularly small, something I tend to equate with boutique) and the Columbia Club might qualify too. While it's not a "full-time hotel" I do think the Columbia Club does offer rooms to the general public.

That's what I've got for now,

hlo

Mentioned in this post
Meridian
Meridian
Mississippi
Columbia Club
Columbia Club
144 Reviews
Indianapolis, IN
Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
9,232 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best hotel for bicycle riders

Also on a biking note, if you’re not familiar with Bloomington, the Little 500, Hilly Hundred, the movie Breaking Away, and some other bike related things; you might want to spend some time on Google.

Not saying you should change your plans, just saying.

hlo

Reply to: Best hotel for bicycle riders
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted