We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

College visit to IUPUI

Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
College visit to IUPUI

Looking to stay close to college but would like hotel not too expensive so my teen daughter and I could walk safely in evening and look at shops attractions etc. any suggestions? Never been to big city like this and only have one day

3 replies to this topic
Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
9,337 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: College visit to IUPUI

Downtown hotel is the way to go unless something is going on to put them out of your budget.

On my phone so this will be short. Unlike many big cities any downtown Indy hotel will be fine; none need be avoided and the same about their surroundings.

Obviously some are better than others, closer to campus/things you’ll want to see/do, etc; but all will be fine for what you’ll have time for.

I’d say parking costs might be a factor and you should be sure and include them as you compare options.

Maybe more later,

hlo

Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: College visit to IUPUI

Thanks. Is there a certain street or block or center that has shops within walking distance of each other?

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
9,337 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: College visit to IUPUI

Downtown Indy is very walkable and (again) pretty much any hotel will do reasonably well in a general (walking) sense. Of course (again) some hotels are closer to some things than other hotels, but I'm going to say that about a 10 minute walk would be about as much as you'd have to add to get to something (i.e. comparing the walk to something specific from the closest hotel and the furthest hotel).

As for shopping (eating, etc.), you'll also find a fair number of options. I'll cover these in separate topics:

1. General. You'll find a fair number of shops (etc.) that are just "on the street" scattered around downtown. More of these are located around and/or south of the Circle (and a few blocks on either side of Meridian) to around the railroad tracks (although more & more stuff is popping up on the south side of the tracks).

2. Circle Center Mall. It's a mall and pretty much what you would expect. It's kind of the center/anchor for the shopping area to the south of the Circle that I mentioned in #1.

3. Mass Ave. Located on the NE corner of downtown, this is all but certainly something you'll want to check out. It's walkable from downtown hotels and has an eclectic mix of shopping, restaurants, bars and other entertainment options (many of which are independent). Too lazy to provide a link, but they do have a website and it's a semi-frequent topic on the forum, so you should easily be able to find more info.

4. Fountain Square. I think of it as a Mass Ave "lite." It's an up & coming area to the SE of downtown. It's a little bit further out than Mass Ave; I'd call it walkable from downtown, but it is a bit of a hoof. I'd probably drive to this one (especially if you think you'll end up buying something, so you won't have to lug it back on foot).

That's a quick rundown/outline of the main downtown shopping/eating/etc.

Hope it helps,

hlo

Reply to: College visit to IUPUI
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted