We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight arrival passenger pick up

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Illinois City...
Destination Expert
for Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Flight arrival passenger pick up

Does anyone know which terminal my husband should pick me up at from a Houston to ORD return flight with United? We normally travel together and take the free shuttle back to our hotel but he'll be driving in to get me.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
45,508 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flight arrival passenger pick up

United is in Terminal 1 at ORD.

Illinois City...
Destination Expert
for Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flight arrival passenger pick up

Thank you....but since we never pay attention since we are on a shuttle...are the signs clearly marked as to which direction to go for passenger pick up? I wouldn't ask this but I have a hubby who gets lost easily in unfamiliar places like airports and does not ask for directions.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
45,508 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flight arrival passenger pick up

Yes - there are several overhead signs indicating Arrivals and Departures as you approach the terminals. As he approaches the terminals, he'll want to keep to the left which will take him to the lower level for arrivals. T1 will be the first terminal.

Each terminal exit door is numbered - 1a, 1b etc. When you call him, tell him which door you're exiting and he'll find you.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
15,098 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flight arrival passenger pick up

If your husband can make it from Illinois City to Chicago and find the airport ... perhaps you're selling him short. It sounds like you're more worried than he. Do you both have cell phones? If so, use them to connect at the airport

Edited: 09 March 2012, 13:56
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,168 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flight arrival passenger pick up

There is a cell phone waiting area near the airport also (in case he arrives before you) so he doesn't have to drive around until you call. He will not be able to wait at the terminal arrival area.

pgo
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
7,168 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flight arrival passenger pick up

Passenger pickup is on the lower level of O'Hare, marked "Arrivals." Those doors are numbered 1A through 1G. The passengers have to cross the roadway for buses to get to the car pickup area. It's hard to see people and cars, and drivers are not allowed to get out of their cars, or even wait for more than a few minutes. If he can't find you in that time, he'll be sent around the circle of terminals and have to try again. It's not easy for someone who is not good at directions and not familiar with the setup.

One idea is for you to wear a bright scarf on your head so he can see you, and for him to have a brightly colored card he can put on his windshield for you to see.

Another idea,one I used with my parents as they got older, is to meet upstairs at "Departures". It's a lot easier to see people and the trip from the door to the car is short. However, if you have checked bags, you do have to take an escalator or elevator up one level from the baggage claim area. The doors on the departure level are marked 1-7, and I would encourage you to use door 7. This is the last door of Terminal 1 and its usually not crowded. Be sure, whether you agree on meeting at Departures or Arrivals, that your husband is clear on the location.

pgo
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
7,168 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flight arrival passenger pick up

Sorry, above should say that the information on doors is for Terminal 1 only. For other terminals, see: ohare.com/PassengerInformation/AirportMaps.a…

Chicago
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Flight arrival passenger pick up

Another option if you are really concerned about pickup is to park in the hourly lot and meet inside the terminal. If it is off peak travel period the hourly parking lot is usually empty and it is just a short walk up to the terminals. I usually have to pick up my significant other Sunday nights and it is empty and easy to get in and get out without having to worry about which door she came out.

Yes you have to pay to park but under an hour is $2, under three hours is $5. I usually watch a flight tracking website like FlightAware or Flightstats and when the plane gets close I drive and park. Usually I can time it so I get there within fifteen minutes of her flight landing. Meet her by the exit and then we can leisurely stroll to the car within that hour time. Even if something happens and she is delayed, it is usually not for over three hours and I just pay the five bucks. To me it is worth it as opposed to driving, squinting while trying to find her at curb side pick up. Plus it seems to me that people at curb side pickup are rather stressed, so I just by-pass the whole thing.

The hourly parking is accessed from the left side of the road as you reach the terminals. Follow the signs that say hourly/daily/valet. Then the hourly/valet will split off for ticket machines. Once inside the terminal, more than likely he will be facing terminal two. Turn right walk towards terminal one and go up the escalator. The passenger exit will be right in front of him in the middle of the baggage carousels.

Illinois City...
Destination Expert
for Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flight arrival passenger pick up

Thank you all for your useful comments...I really appreciate them. I'll have him read this and decide what he wants to do...and he will not be taking me to the airport...I'll get there via shuttle.

pgo...I know exactly where you mean...but we have to walk up to the Hyatt and call the hotel shuttle to pick us up....that's really why I prefer flying out of Midway...it's a snap but this time I didn't have a choice. He would not have a problem with Midway whatsoever.

shallow_shoal...you have no idea....lol...he'll use the GPS to get to the airport...otherwise I'm always the navigator....

Gurnee, Illinois
Level Contributor
702 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flight arrival passenger pick up

The last time I picked up my wife at O'Hare, the "traffic management" people started yelling at me as soon as I pulled over, even though she was right there, luggage in hand, and my stop would only be a half minute long. I guess we were at the door that's designated for hotel shuttles, or something. I don't know if there's a door that is designated for passenger car pickups. It was not a particularly busy time, around 8pm on a weeknight. If I were a visitor to Chicago, those traffic management people would have given me an awful first impression.