We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip from Chicago to New Haven Connecticut

Guangzhou, China
4 posts
Save Topic
Road trip from Chicago to New Haven Connecticut

Planning a roadtrip from New Haven to Chicago and back in the summer. Needs suggestions on stops and accomodations.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
48,323 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road trip from Chicago to New Haven Connecticut

You might want to post your question in the TA road trips forum - tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Tri…

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
805 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road trip from Chicago to New Haven Connecticut

We drove that route last summer.

Are you seeking activities on the way, or do you just want a hotel between the two ciites?

You will be going near Cleveland, which has a lot of things to do.

Guangzhou, China
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Road trip from Chicago to New Haven Connecticut

Thanks. basically we have 5 days, starting off in New Haven on day 1 and spend i night on the way to Chicago, spend 2 nights in Chicago and another night on the way back to New Haven. Needs hotels recomendation, which city to stay the night and places to visits.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
805 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road trip from Chicago to New Haven Connecticut

The Cleveland area is a good stopping point if you want to be closer to Chicago than to New Haven when you stop. If you are interested in sightseeing in Cleveland, you could go to the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame which is in downtown Cleveland.

When you drive between Chicago and New Haven, you will take Interstate 80 (everyone calls it I-80) and you will be south of downtown Cleveland if you stay on that road.

We stayed in Solon, Ohio (that is a suburb of Cleveland), but there are other towns that are convenient to I-80 (like Elyria or Youngstown in Ohio).

You can also stay in Pennsylvania which is going to be more in the middle of the trip, or maybe even closer to New Haven than to Chicago (that depends on where exactly you stay).

If you look on a map of Pennsylvania, you can see how I-80 goes through the middle of the state. There are lots of small towns with hotels. Read the reviews here on Trip Advisor for the hotels in towns that you might stay in and make a decision based on that.

Good luck with your trip! The drive is not too bad. Once you are out of New York City, it is an easy drive.

Guangzhou, China
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Road trip from Chicago to New Haven Connecticut

Thanks very much !

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
15,957 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road trip from Chicago to New Haven Connecticut

Go to Mapquest

http://www.mapquest.com/

type New Haven CT and Chicago IL in the directionsend points (Get Directions) and have fun plotting the routes to the cities in between. The map will show the most direct route through Cleveland and Toledo Ohio. You can drag the blue route line to, say Pittsburg, and the interactive map will give you a new route to follow. Or drag it up to Buffalo New York (Niagara Falls) and it will give you that route. Have some fun planning your trip and take different routes.

Edited: 09 March 2012, 21:44
New York, NY
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road trip from Chicago to New Haven Connecticut

if you like pizza, try pepe's pizza in new haven (white clam pizza). in chicago try some chicago stuffed pizza (giordanos, edwardos, etc). if you like fried chicken, try some harold's fried chicken in chicago (smothered with everything on it--hot and bbq sauce, ketchup, salt and pepper, on top of french fries and white bread).

Chicago
Level Contributor
6 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Road trip from Chicago to New Haven Connecticut

Hailing from CT and residing in Chicago, I have made this trip a few times. I recommend Cleveland for your overnight.

I agree with the last post, Pepe's Pizza in New Haven is awesome. As for deep dish in Chicago, you have to go to Lou Malnati's!

Medford, Oregon
Level Contributor
27 posts
664 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Road trip from Chicago to New Haven Connecticut

The Hampton Majestic in the Theater District is agreat Chicago hotel right in the middle of everything for a great price. Good, free, hot breakfast (to go, if needed). It is within walking distance of everything downtown and the Lake Michigan shore, good food, subway, Metra, South Shore Line... this hotel can't be beat for the money, amenities and location.

For food, you gotta eat Chicago style pizza at Giordano's, they serve the best of it.

If you like comedy them buy tickets to an improv show at Second City, the Mecca of comedy and starting place for many superstar comics in the last 40 years.

Chicago is a great walking city, park the car once and then see it all on foot or by train.

Edited: 09 April 2012, 04:33
10. Re: Road trip from Chicago to New Haven Connecticut

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 15:42