We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chicago with Children in June - Suggetions?

St. Louis
Level Contributor
335 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Chicago with Children in June - Suggetions?

Our plans are coming together for our train trip to Chicago. We will be arriving by Amtrak. We have just been offered a stay in a friend's condo (Aqua) near Milleneum Park. (Wow - what a gift!) I don't know if the El would take us near there. The children would get a kick out of riding it. We arrive on a Thursday and I noticed that the Children's Museum is free on Thursday evenings. I wonder if the crowds will make it impossible to enjoy. Friday we will spend time at the Shedd's Aquarium and then maybe take a boat ride. I read that there is a Lego store - I'm sure they would enjoy that. I don't think we need to do a zoo because St. Louis has a top-notch zoo. We will plan to go to either the Sears Tower or John Hancock building for the view. Any other ideas - places to eat, etc. The children are 6 and 8.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
48,949 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Chicago with Children in June - Suggetions?

There are areas designed specifically for babies, toddlers, preschoolers, and their parents.

chicago
Level Contributor
8,510 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Chicago with Children in June - Suggetions?

18 months is a great age to go!

i started taking my daughter on the free nights before she could walk

when she turned one we bought a 2 year membership and she goes at least once a week

Northbrook, Illinois
Level Contributor
2 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Chicago with Children in June - Suggetions?

Navy Pier is close by and that will be excellent. Take the L to the Cubs game.. It drops you off 1 block from Wrigley Field and the kids will be singing "Take me out to the Ball Game" and be Cub fans before you know it. That in it self can be a curse nrlrivr me I've been a fan for over 45 years. Oak Street beach is 5 minutes from Aqua and 5 more minutes north is Lincoln Park Zoo (free) if you just need to fill in an afternoon even though you hadn't plan on going to the zoo. The Field museun is about 1-2 miles south on the other side of the park. Every kid goes there as a field trip in school ( at least I did way back in the day) and plan on spending the whole day. Check all of the museums web sites because they usually offer a free day during the week in the summer

Chicago Suburbs
Level Contributor
3,964 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Chicago with Children in June - Suggetions?

A couple of very pedestrian close-by restaurant choices that should be good for kids and inexpensive: Ronnys Steak House cafeteria at 100 W Randolph Street and the Pittsfield Building Cafe for breakfast and lunch at 55 E Washington. You can also try the food courts in the basement and 7th floor of Macy's in the Loop at 111 N State St. If you find yourself on North Michigan Avenue, Pompeii Bakery at 212 E Ohio. is good for unique pizza by the slice and Italian. Kids that age typically don't care for Chicago-style deep dish or stuffed pizza.

St. Louis
Level Contributor
335 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Chicago with Children in June - Suggetions?

Thanks everyone so much. I just love all you members of Trip Advisor. I'm sure my friends get sick of hearing me say that Trip Advisor says this and that.

Destination Expert
for South Haven
Level Contributor
827 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Chicago with Children in June - Suggetions?

the childrens museum is always crowded....you get used to waiting in line....its huge so the crowds disperse....its awesome so don't miss it or the enclosed arboretum with the jumping fountains....your kids would love the ferris wheel too....and the fireworks if they're happening when you're there....I like to time my ferris wheel trip for the works....the kids love it

the lego store is in the water tower mall w american girl doll...that store really is amazing even if you don't like dolls....it truely celebrates girls while draining your wallet *HA*

millenium park is a gem....take towels and suits and let the kids splash in the fountains...they love it....check out the bean of course and there often are free activities & concerts or concert rehersals to enjoy...

and get a 24 hr pass to the buses/el at least....your 6 yr old is free....not sure if the 8 yr old need to pay....you buy them at Walgreens....they should know....don't miss the brown line north out of the city....its' view is amazing and riding the buses & trains are a way to see REAL chicagoans....my grandkids LOVE it!! and just walk the city....always something going on!!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
805 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Chicago with Children in June - Suggetions?

As others have said, Millenium Park is an absolute must-do.

My kids really like the Art Institute believe it or not. There are some really cool miniature rooms they like to visit (some books have been written about them--my daughter loves the books).

My kids also like the Field Museum the best of all the Chicago museums. We prefer it to the Shedd, but it does depend on the kids I think.

Portillo's or Ed Debevic's are fun. Get ice cream at Mitchell's across the street from Ed Debevic's.

chicago
Level Contributor
19 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Chicago with Children in June - Suggetions?

I second the suggestion for the Art Institute's Thorne Miniature Rooms (on the lower floor). Check out this link: http://www.artic.edu/aic/collections/thorne

for more information. In addition they have a very robust family program that is free once you pay for admission. Most of the lower floor is dedicated to younger children. My kids love the Art Institute and so do I. I also agree that the Field Museum is one of the best and funnest museums in Chicago. The mummies alone are worth a vist.

St. Louis
Level Contributor
335 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Chicago with Children in June - Suggetions?

Thanks so much for all of your suggestions. I do remember the Field Museum as being really nice. My granddaughter is into art and if we didn't stay too long, I'm sure my grandson could handle the Art Institute also.

I had decided to forget the Museum of Science and Industry this trip. It's almost overwhelming. I'm thinking that could be a trip in itself.

Chicago
Level Contributor
1,497 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Chicago with Children in June - Suggetions?

Your grandson might enjoy the armor and arms area of the Art Institute. There is also a children's area on the lower level.

We are members and go often, but my problem with the AIC is the high admission charge. Can be prohibitive.

Also the kids might enjoy some of the exhibits in the modern wing.

S