We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Few questions: bars, travel, chocolate and weather!

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Woodbury, New York
Level Contributor
1,816 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Few questions: bars, travel, chocolate and weather!

SO I'm headed over to Chicago on Sunday.

Pretty much planned stuff as much as I ever plan.

Just a few queries!

First of all, I'm breaking a habit of a lifetime and not getting public transport from an airport. Due to needing to be someplace Sunday early evening, I'll probably take a cab from O'Hare. Staying at Days Inn (Diversey Pkwy) Lincoln Park. I've read an average of $35-40 to downtown, is it going to be similar cost to Lincoln Park?

Also, decided the best travel pass for me to get is the 7 day CTA one, can I just buy this from a vending machine at any station?

Any suggestions for nice (but not really posh!) bars in Mag Mile, loop area, to just sit and have a drink and people watch / relax. Not so much night time, but afternoon after hours of walking about! I'm in my 30's, female, don't really want 'pubs' so much, just some nice places where it's perfectly normal for someone to sit by themself and have a drink!

Also, any suggestions on places to buy sugar free / diabetic chocolate? I found one place on Mag Mile (Teuscher), also Sweet Factory has some. But other suggestions welcome if anyone happens to know.

Finally - the weather. A friend in Minnesota just told me that it's gonna be, and I quote 'Hell frozen over cold from Sunday night'. I looked at Weather Underground, an it does seem to be dipping in temp on Sunday. But of course, I can only look a few days ahead. Is a major colder than normal snap being predicted for next week?

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
1,277 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Few questions: bars, travel, chocolate and weather!

The CTA passes are only sold at certain stations. If you want one, you could to go to the O'Hare Blue Line station and buy one there. Passes are also sold by some businesses. Check http://www.transitchicago.com/maps/fares.html and look for the link to get a PDF of transit card sales outlets.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
5,866 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Few questions: bars, travel, chocolate and weather!

If you're talking about this coming Sunday, Accuweather and weather.com both say mid 40'sF for a high. That's not too bad and I would say normal for this time of year. If its the following Sunday then they say around 30F for a high. Don't expect much sunshine as the sun is very low in the sky and they are predicting clouds with some rain so it'll get dark very early. Oh and Minnesota can be very different weather than Chicago.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
45,988 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Few questions: bars, travel, chocolate and weather!

You can calculate your cab fare here - http://chicago.taxiwiz.com/

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Few questions: bars, travel, chocolate and weather!

Check out www.metromix.com to search for any specific type of bar/restaurant in any neighborhood. For an afternoon drink Mag Mile/downtown, I would consider one of the many hotel bars.

Also FYI, your hotel is in a great (but non-touristy) location. There are a TON of bars, restaurants, and shops (even a movie theater) within easy walking distance of it.

Woodbury, New York
Level Contributor
1,816 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Few questions: bars, travel, chocolate and weather!

cheers peoples!

So the CTA 7-day pass - I need to go find an outlet that sells, I checked the list, seems there is one over the way from Days Inn.

Ah yeah, the suggestion of hotel bars in those areas is a good one. Thats the sort of place you can sit by your self for sure and not look like Billy No Mates :-D

illiniguy1 - I have already planned on going to a couple movies at that theatre, Landmark I think it is? Got a couple great films on next week I can go see.

I think I will like Lincoln Park, sounds like my kinda neighborhood. Also I am spending 3 evenings at Steppenwolf theatre, so the location should be handy for that as well.

pgo
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
7,193 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Few questions: bars, travel, chocolate and weather!

A good local forecast can be found here:

weather.wgntv.com/US/IL/Chicago.html?main=1

Sunday's weather looks good from a temperature standpoint, but those blustery winds may slow down landings at O'Hare. Wet weather is predicted for the time you are here. Since it sounds like you will be walking quite a bit, be sure to pay attention to your footwear. All you really need are boots, with a tread sole if possible.

Woodbury, New York
Level Contributor
1,816 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Few questions: bars, travel, chocolate and weather!

hi pgo.

I have some decent boots. Had problems for years with footwear and walking round cities (New York mainly, also in the middle of winter). I finally realised, after trying all sorts, that Ecco boots are the best. Good sole on 'em, warm, and generally great for winter.

cheers for the weather link!

8. Re: Few questions: bars, travel, chocolate and weather!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2009, 00:20