We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in Chicago

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boro
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Topic
First time in Chicago

Hello everyone, we are visiting Chicago for the first time in August, myself , my wife and 8 yr old daughter, could you give me some pointers. We are there for 4 days, looking for the tourist attractions and a couple of decent places to eat, cheers.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
43,046 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time in Chicago

There are 100s of things to do and see here, depending on your particular interests. Please take a look at the introduction to Chicago section on this web site. It has lots of information. Also take a look at metromix.com for ideas. You can do dining searches at chicagoreader.com and yelp.com.

Feel free to ask more specific questions.

Chicago Burbs
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First time in Chicago

I personally was looking to take my 5 year old for a few days in Chicago this June... I found a good site that has all the good basics and links...

www.chicagotraveler.com/kids-things-to-do.htm

Scroll Down

And they have discount cards for things too.. Here is a site that compares the differences between the two of them:

chicagotraveler.com/chicago-attractions-card…

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
3 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time in Chicago

Navy Pier and the Shedd Aquarium are definitely worth seeing. If your daughter is into dolls, like my 6 year old, a visit to The American Girl store is a must. Its just off Michigan Avenue on Chicago in the shopping district. Then walk over to Ginos East for pizza.

chicago
Level Contributor
97 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time in Chicago

Your daughter might enjoy a trip to the American Girl Place although, I'd recommend enjoying the beautiful outdoors!

I definitely recommend checking out the Cloud Gate and Crown Fountain in Millennium Park and Buckingham Fountain in Grant Park. It should be hot in August, so these are great outdoor places to wander or have a picnic.

Navy Pier would be fun with it's restaurants, Children Museum, IMAX theater, boat tours, outdoor rides including a giant ferris wheel.

You could rent bicycles and peddle along the Lake Front and stop to swim at the Oak Street Beach.

There's a nice little outdoor dining spot called The Green at Grant Park that has a putt putt golf course.

There's a free outdoor zoo in Lincoln Park as well as paddle boat rental on the lagoon.

Depending on when you are here in August you might take in the city festivals:

50th Annual Chicago Air & Water Show: August 16-17

20th Annual Viva! Chicago Latin Music Festival: August 23-24

30th Annual Chicago Jazz Festival: August 28-31

The Chicago Triathlon takes place August 22-24.

You might be interested taking a river tour or an on-and-off bus tour. See: https:/…

That will take you to key stopping points so you can jump off to explore!

There's so much to do! Google Chicago City Pass or Chicago Go Card for a booklet that will get you into multiple attractions at a discount!

Have fun!!

Maria

5. Re: First time in Chicago

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2009, 10:20