We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Museum Campus

Level Contributor
17 posts
34 reviews
13 helpful votes
Museum Campus
Save

Hello. Looking to visit Spring break next year. Can Shedd aquarium, Field museum, and Adler planetarium be done in 1 day? What would be the best transportation from River North to area with 6 year old? Do you recommend city pass or buy online from museums? Thanks

10 replies to this topic
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
8,484 posts
505 reviews
131 helpful votes
1. Re: Museum Campus
Save

I would be exhausted by 3 museums in one day and also suffering from sensory overload. Both the Shedd and the Field Museum are huge; the Shedd also has shows of dolphins and whales at certain times that you might want to catch. How would 6 Y.O handle all that in one day without a meltdown? Only you can judge.

I would just buy tickets online from the museum websites.

To get there you could walk over to Michigan Ave and take a 146 bus southbound. Take one that says "Museum Campus" on the front. Or taxi or uber if you are in a hurry to get there.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
23,063 posts
144 reviews
101 helpful votes
2. Re: Museum Campus
Save

Yes, they are next to each other in the Museum Campus south of Grant Park. You can see them all in one day if you don't want to see much of anything at any of them. Choose 2 and relax. If you are buying a city pass just to use everything on the pass (with a 6 year old along). Don't let a citypass force you to see what you don't want to see. Do the math.

You can take the #146 bus from Michigan Ave to the Museum Campus.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
8,869 posts
2 reviews
13 helpful votes
3. Re: Museum Campus
Save

You can certainly walk through them all in 1 day. You will miss a lot but if you are checking a box have at it. I love the Shedd and FM they take a 1/2 day min IMO. For a first time visitor... even longer

B.

Chicago
Level Contributor
12,885 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
4. Re: Museum Campus
Save

I love museums but seeing them all in one day would be hellish, especially for a six-year-old.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
22,830 posts
127 reviews
82 helpful votes
5. Re: Museum Campus
Save

They’re also all expensive. It makes much more sense to pick one and spend the day there rather than rush through, The planetarium is small so if your 6 year old can last all day you could do that plus the aquarium. But all three is just rushing to say you did it.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
35,876 posts
106 reviews
93 helpful votes
6. Re: Museum Campus
Save

I'd do the Field and call it a day. If the 6 has energy after the Field then you could go on line and buy a Shedd ticket. Note that not all 146 buses go to the museum campus -- it will say Museum Campus on the front if it does and it is a great way to get to the museums. I once made the mistake of getting on the wrong 146 and it was a longish walk from the last stop over to the museum. The Museum Campus bus will drop you right at the museum. The route ends at the Adler -- but I would never try to do all 3 in a day and especially with a child.

There is pretty good food service at the museums.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
10,603 posts
92 reviews
29 helpful votes
7. Re: Museum Campus
Save

Fully agree with all the above responses (sure you could do all in 1 day, barely scratching the surface of the Field and Shedd; but more recommended to spend more time in Field or Shedd).

How long is your visit and what else do you have planned? The CityPass is valid for 9 days so, unless the rest of your trip is packed to the gills, or you only have a couple days, you have plenty of time to make a couple trips to the Museum Campus.

Level Contributor
143 posts
5 reviews
1 helpful vote
8. Re: Museum Campus
Save

I don’t know if you belong to a museum at home, but our season passes allow us in free to Adler and Field. If your kids are like mine, racing through the museum, I’m sure you could do three in one day if you wanted.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
379 posts
2,397 reviews
526 helpful votes
9. Re: Museum Campus
Save

That’s a lot in one day. Perhaps 2. Try to enjoy the experience. We always take the #146 bus to the museum campus.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,437 posts
53 reviews
22 helpful votes
10. Re: Museum Campus
Save

I did the Shedd and Field in one day with a visitor who was determined to squeeze every dollar out of one of the city passes he bought, never ever again. I’d prioritise the Field, Adler and Shedd are fine but they’re not particularly unique, especially Adler. I always think of Adler as school field trip when your science class is studying astronomy.

Reply to: Museum Campus
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2022 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Ireland. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.