We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving during winter months?

San Jose, California
3 posts
Moving during winter months?

Hi All,

My husband and I are planning to relocate from the SF bay area to Boise in March or April next year. Does anyone know if that is an unrealistic plan due to the winter roads we would need to drive on between the bay area and Bosie?

Thanks!

Michelle

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
24,821 posts
112 reviews
1. Re: Moving during winter months?

Whether you are relocating or just doing a road trip, no one is going to be able to predict the weather for your travel time frame.

I suggest you try to be flexible with your timing so if something big is blowing in off the Pacific coast you can delay for a few days until conditions improve. I would also probably try to break it up over 2 days if you schedule will allow. That way if it is still very cold in the AMs you can leave after the sun is on the roads. In general, that time of year if you encountered wintry conditions they would resolve in a day or 2.

Having said that, I moved from FL to ID in January many years ago (before TA, lol!) and managed to hit a spell of warmish weather the whole way out here!

April is probably going to be more reliably better weather but no guarantees.

San Jose, California
3 posts
2. Re: Moving during winter months?

Thanks for your response! I realize it's a pretty impossible question to answer. I am also thinking of driving north through Oregon and then East into Idaho. I am assuming that would probably be a better bet than going over the Donner pass in the Lake Tahoe area.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
8,464 posts
86 reviews
3. Re: Moving during winter months?

It would not ! as most interior roads in Oregon ... go to higher elevations ... And are not as well maintained as the interstate as far as say the 95 North from Winnemucca ... Plan this drive as a move over well traveled highways.. Not, a sight seeing trip. Happy trails ... carracar

San Jose, California
3 posts
4. Re: Moving during winter months?

Thanks for the head's up!

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
5,291 posts
156 reviews
5. Re: Moving during winter months?

Will you be driving your own personal vehicle or something like a U-Haul? If the latter, I would definitely plan to stick to interstate highway and other well-traveled roads and not, to paraphrase carracar, combining a move with a sightseeing trip.

6. Re: Moving during winter months?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2017, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Boise