We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Choosing a small mountain town for hiking base.

CHARLOTTE
Level Contributor
842 posts
112 reviews
Choosing a small mountain town for hiking base.

We are coming to Idaho next June for a hiking trip. This may be my last long hiking holiday because I am getting on in years, so to speak. I have looked at all the towns around Sun Valley, Carson City, area but would prefer a small mountain town with less crowds, and with a good accommodation and one or two good place to dine.Your suggestions would be most appreciated. I have been through your beautiful state several times but know very little. Thanks from a Tar Heel.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
8,697 posts
86 reviews
1. Re: Choosing a small mountain town for hiking base.

Depends on how well you do at higher elevations... Most attractive Idaho locals ( with amenities) are in river valley areas or lake side ... I'll suggest The Stanley or McCall areas... Or for more serious hikes in the Idaho side of the Tetons ... Driggs ... Perhaps, lodging at the grand Targhee Resort ... Happy trails .. carracar

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
11,667 posts
557 reviews
2. Re: Choosing a small mountain town for hiking base.

In the area of Sun Valley, the town is really Ketchum, at the base of the mountain, Baldy..In June we are not very busy and getting ready for the huge crowds forJuly.You will find all different kinds of places to stay. i suggest VBRO, and in Stanley for a couple of nights for sure. How long of a hike would you like?? I hike all the time and have been here for 40 years. Give me some insight and i can help.

The Driggs/Victor area doesn't have the hiking like we do, at all. The Targhee Resort is nice, but you would be very isolated..

WE have great restaurants, and hot springs..

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
8,697 posts
86 reviews
3. Re: Choosing a small mountain town for hiking base.

Google... Grand Targhee hiking hiking trails ... carracar

CHARLOTTE
Level Contributor
842 posts
112 reviews
4. Re: Choosing a small mountain town for hiking base.

Thanks guys for your remarks. I have ruled out Driggs. We like to take moderate hikes of from 2 or so hours in and then out. Prefer a different one each day if possible. Must have a good accommodation and like good restaurants and a good glass of wine each night. At my age those are important I have looked at Hailey and Ketchum. Give me your thoughts if you have others and thanks.

idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,667 posts
557 reviews
5. Re: Choosing a small mountain town for hiking base.

Yes, i would rule out Driggs area, although, fun to visit..sister in law lives there!!I june, there will still be a bit of snow on the ground and the hiking is tricky. BUT, you can hike the mountain, to the lookout, and a few others. When the time gets near, i can help with all the hikes. Hot springs...we have them. Good glasses of wine..oh, yes, we have them. We have a fun wine bars...that have the BEST food..too many to say..but look up Enoteca, Town Tavern...you like Asian food...Taste of Thai, and Rick Shaw...whatever you like, we have .

Check out VBRO and i will check out the addresses and let you know. Have made life long friends, lurking around different addresses!!

Let me know.

idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,667 posts
557 reviews
6. Re: Choosing a small mountain town for hiking base.

PS in June, there are few visitors , which is sooooo nice. WE have the longest, straightest bike bath ever (30+ miles...used to be the RR) that runs along the river. We have what you will like!!

Reno, Nevada
1 post
7. Re: Choosing a small mountain town for hiking base.

McCall is less commercialized and only a 2 1/2 hour drive from Boise. There are endless hikes available with literally hundreds of lakes available. Donnelly is a smaller town near McCall that maybe an option.

Edited: 02 October 2016, 17:20
idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,667 posts
557 reviews
8. Re: Choosing a small mountain town for hiking base.

Yes, Mc Call is smaller, and very few options for good dining..One of the reasons we don't go more often. Are there lots of good hikes there?? Donnelly, good accommodations?? One of the OP"S request...Let us know.

Twin Falls, Idaho
Level Contributor
70 posts
144 reviews
9. Re: Choosing a small mountain town for hiking base.

TripAdvisor ranks the Shore Lodge in McCall #12 in the nation. I'm sure that accommodation would be adequate. The McCall area would make for a great hiking basecamp.

10. Re: Choosing a small mountain town for hiking base.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2017, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Boise