We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 days in downtown Boise. What do I need to see?

Level Contributor
25 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
5 days in downtown Boise. What do I need to see?

Hi

I fly in from the uk a week Monday and I have 5 days in Boise visiting family I've never met before!

Staying in candle wood suites.

Any particular attractions etc that I must see during my visit?

Thanks!

Apple Valley...
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 days in downtown Boise. What do I need to see?

There should be a list somewhere on here but, visit the State Capitol it's beautiful. Nearby don't miss Freak Alley, which are paintings in an alleyway nearby, Old Idaho State Penitentiary, Idaho Botanical Garden. All of these are in the same general area.

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
11,567 posts
529 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 days in downtown Boise. What do I need to see?

Get in a car, and head for the Sun Valley area..even if for the day. it is a 2 + hour drive and so well worth it.

Let me know if i can help. You could also just start up towards Idaho City...What are you interested in seeing. the Capital building , in my opinion, is not worth the time. You can see it from all over.

Does the family have anything in mind to show you ??

Level Contributor
25 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 days in downtown Boise. What do I need to see?

I have no clue. They have taken 2 days off work so I'm assuming they are planning on showing me around. I've looked into the capital building and state penitentiary. They have small children so was thinking Boise zoo.....I live on a tiny island jusynoff the coast of France so anything is exciting to me :)

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
11,567 posts
529 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 days in downtown Boise. What do I need to see?

Drive up to Bogus Basin...google it for the summer..they must have something going there, if not some easy hikes. Great views from up there.

Idaho
Level Contributor
640 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 days in downtown Boise. What do I need to see?

guernseygirl86,

Trip Advisor has a page for the 'Top 10 things to do in Boise' https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g353… or the Boise Convention & Visitor Bureau website http://www.boise.org/visit. Here are a few suggestions; Walk About Boise History Tour, Capital City Public Market, The Boise Farmers Market, Alive after 5 (Wednesdays), Food & Cultural Tour with Indulge Boise. You could try Zip Lining or Whitewater Rafting as well!

You must see Shoshone Falls in Twin Falls known as the “Niagara of the West.” The highest flow in 20 years! about 1,000 cubic feet per second of water is flowing over Shoshone Falls this week. That will remain steady until July 5, when flows will dip to 400 cfs. idahostatesman.com/outdoors/playing-outdoors… For more on Shoshone Falls, including a live camera http://www.tfid.org/index.aspx?NID=309.

Bogus Basin will be opening some new activities for the first time this summer, along with what they already offer; Mountain Biking, Mountain Coaster, Summer Tubing, Fun Zone, Deer Point Chairlift Rides, Hiking & Horseback Riding. Unfortunately, they won't be opening them until July 1st.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
32,576 posts
6,407 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 days in downtown Boise. What do I need to see?

Boise is an easy city to explore.

We used the Things to Do list highlighted above and saw many of the things on the list in two days.

The attractions are "nice size" meaning you can see many on the same day and still have some time to visit as you have planned.

We found the overview views from the Boise Train Station Very nice

We liked the Penitiary Visit, the zoo and botanical garden.

The Basque museum is small sized but interesting as it gave a good overview of Basque not just in Idaho but throughout the west. If you go there, I would also plan on lunch there. Several good basque places in the area. Good sized parking area a couple of minutes walk away.

7. Re: 5 days in downtown Boise. What do I need to see?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 July 2018, 04:18
Get answers to your questions about Boise