We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best travel route from Boise to Fort Klamath

West Lafayette...
Level Contributor
14 posts
206 reviews
Save Topic
Best travel route from Boise to Fort Klamath

We will be traveling from Boise to Crater Lake, actually staying in Fort Klamath. We plan to travel there in one day. What is the best route? We have been told two options: US-20 to Bend and down US 97 (over 7 hours) or US-20 to US 395 through the southern half of the state (over 6 hours) Which you you recommend?

Mentioned in this post
Boise
Boise
Idaho
Bend
Bend
Central Oregon, OR
Level Contributor
152 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best travel route from Boise to Fort Klamath

I've driven both routes many times as I go to Ashland from Boise a couple times a year to see OSF plays.

I recommend going the fastest route via 20 and 395. If you had time to stop in Bend and see some of the sites around Bend like the High Desert Museum or Newberry Volcanic I would say different but if you're just driving - scenery is about the same either way.

395 and the route through Christmas Valley/Silver Lake is fine but isolated - liable to be out of cell phone range. I always fill up and eat in Burns and just make sure my car and tires etc are in good shape before taking off.

Enjoy Crater Lake - its lovely.

Mentioned in this post
Ashland
Ashland
Oregon
Boise
Boise
Idaho
Bend
Bend
Central Oregon, OR
High Desert Museum
High Desert Museum
1,603 Reviews
Bend, OR
Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,207 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best travel route from Boise to Fort Klamath

Adam B Just curious on the Hwy20 to 395 route after Silver Lake what is your route?

across Beaver Marsh?

Thanks

Edited: 04 March 2017, 00:46
Level Contributor
152 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best travel route from Boise to Fort Klamath

I really just follow the Google Maps Route that pops up if you do the 395 option from Boise to Ashland. After Silver Lake you go on 410 and then 676 through Klamath Falls NWR, (which come to think of it is a lovely section to drive through)

That route hits 97 a little south of Beaver Marsh so you don't actually go through that town but right close.

I do generally have google maps directions guiding me since that section is less obvious, google maps stores the route so even if you're out of cell phone range, it still can guide you.

Edited: 04 March 2017, 01:03
Mentioned in this post
Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,207 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best travel route from Boise to Fort Klamath

Thanks Adam just curious and thanks for your response.

Edited: 04 March 2017, 01:35
West Lafayette...
Level Contributor
14 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best travel route from Boise to Fort Klamath

Thank you for your advice!

6. Re: Best travel route from Boise to Fort Klamath

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2018, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Boise