We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coming to Ellijay in September

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Coming to Ellijay in September

Coming to Ellijay in September for first time with husband and 4 year old. Need advice on things to do. Staying here: www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p172265 Plan on going to Georgia Aquarium one day as well. Traveling from S. Florida thanks in advance.

Ellijay, Georgia
Level Contributor
352 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coming to Ellijay in September

What do you wan to do? It is over an hour to drive from Ellijay to the aquarium. This says you may want to go far to see and do. The aquarium is an excellent choice though. There is lots to do in and around Ellijay. A peaceful walk in the downtown area of Ellijay and or Blue Ridge. Or are you the the ones that want to do river rafting and intense hiking. Lots of shops, fishing, hiking, restaurants, fly fishing, wine tasting, apples and apple pies and cider, one of the last remaining drive-in theaters, and of course the mountains.

Your cabin is in Coosawattee so it will be paved roads and a gated community.

Georgia
Level Contributor
2,799 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coming to Ellijay in September

April,

Ideas that quickly come to mind that you can research...

Route 53 is Apple country. At least 7 or 8 orchards, some with corn mazes, at least one with a petting zoo.

Burt's Pumpkin farm (right around the corner)

Amicalola Falls St. Park

downtown Dahlonega (another neat downtown to wander around)

Gold mine tours in Dahlonega.

There is a scenic train ride running from Blue Ridge.

hiking, drive around a bit and you'll find yourself crossing the Appalachian Trail a few times.

If you are willing to drive a bit, Stone Mountain, better yet The Great Smoky Mountain Nat'l Park and numerous attractions in and around Chattanooga.

Georgia
Level Contributor
2,799 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coming to Ellijay in September

Gibbs Garden, though a bit expensive for a 1 day visit, plus may not be very interesting to a 4 yr old, but then again,...

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coming to Ellijay in September

Thanks everyone!! These are great.

Ellijay, Georgia
Level Contributor
352 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coming to Ellijay in September

Most all of the apple houses are closed. R&A, Panorama and Merciers outside of Blue Ridge are the only ones open at this time I believe. Our favorite is Panorama, South of Walmart on 515. Great fried pies, fudge, Cider, baked goods and of course apples. Burt's I believe is open but I don't think the pumpkins are available until the 1st of September. Great choice as Kevin mentioned would be the Blue Ridge Scenic railroad. You have to at least once.

Georgia
Level Contributor
2,799 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Coming to Ellijay in September

Jake, wouldn't the orchards along Rt 53 be open in Sept? I've never quite noticed when they open or when a apple crops come in. You are probably right, best to call ahead.

April, also do a google search for wineries around Ellijay and Dahlonega. That was become a very popular business, I see several new ones under development and probably a few years away.

Another thing, since you'll be here in Sept is swimming. Air temps will be hot and the water should still be warmish. Several state parks with ponds and you might get directions locally to some nice spots along the rivers and streams.

Edited: 27 June 2015, 15:29
Ellijay, Georgia
Level Contributor
352 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Coming to Ellijay in September

Well, I need to read more and look less. Yes, apple houses will be open, and Burt's will look like a pumpkin farm ought to look. Sorry, I'll read better.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Coming to Ellijay in September

Visit Panorama Orchards, on 515 going into town. Black Bear Antiques is a good way to pass the time. If you come in Oct, you can catch the apple blossom festival. There is always something going on there. Check chamber of commerce website for a list of events

Ellijay, Georgia
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Coming to Ellijay in September

Fun Hike you could take to the Gennett Poplar

atlantatrails.com/hiking-trails/…

A visit to Mountain Valley Farm is Awesome

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g34929-d25…

Several Wineries if that is your thing.

10. Re: Coming to Ellijay in September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2016, 17:44
Get answers to your questions about Ellijay
More Ellijay Topics