We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to Georgia. Could someone give me input about Ellijay

Monroeville nj
1 post
Save Topic
Moving to Georgia. Could someone give me input about Ellijay

Considering moving to Georgia and heard Ellijay is a great town to raise a family. I was considering blue ridge however heard its not so great to raise children. Could someone tell me a little but about the area. We have three small boys. We are looking to live some were with low crime rate, friendly people, stuff to do outdoors. Generally a good place for a family. Also a good place to find a job or start a business. If anyone has any input I would greatly appreciate it.

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
6,433 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving to Georgia. Could someone give me input about Ellijay

This is not a relocation site, but a travel site, so your post is liable to be removed. For demographic and other info, try www.city-data.com . That said, my home town, Decatur GA, has the qualities you're looking for in an urban setting. For instance, take a look at: bizjournals.com/atlanta/morning_call/2014/01… .

Edited: 24 January 2014, 19:24
Ellijay, GA
Level Contributor
465 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moving to Georgia. Could someone give me input about Ellijay

I moved to Ellijay 13 years ago from Atlanta. It is an amazingly friendly town-even friendlier than other small towns in Georgia. I don't have kids so I can't say anything about the schools but I was very surprise when meeting some of the local kids and hearing yes ma'am instead of "yeah". In my opinion the children up here are much better behaved than larger cities. The kids can go outside and play, we have hiking, mountain biking, hunting for arrowheads, gold panning. Kids can be kids up here. Can you tell I LOVE it?

Ellijay, Georgia
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moving to Georgia. Could someone give me input about Ellijay

I wasn't born in Ellijay, but I got here as soon as I could! Liljean Taylor

Ellijay, Georgia
Level Contributor
359 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moving to Georgia. Could someone give me input about Ellijay

Can't imagine anyone you could have heard from that would say that it is not good for raising kids in Blue Ridge. If you want information like that, you need to do just what you are now doing and ask those of us that would surely know. It may not be that much of a difference here from where you live now. Monroeville is situated out of Philly and North of Atlantic City and is out in the country. Ellijay is 60 to 90 miles North of Atlanta depending on what part of Atlanta you want to be North of. Anything you and the kids would want to do is here. Hiking, biking, mountains, camping, festivals, apples, wineries, beautiful scenery, you name it. Very low crime rate. I have completed the Gilmer CLEA class and can say without hesitation, that we have the finest Sheriff's department I have ever had the opportunity to be associated with. We have great home grown local eateries and small businesses. We have the ubiquitous fast food joints and the Wally World.

Ellijay is the local home town you would want to call home. Just one thing. We don't care how you did it up North. This is the South. You will choose wisely, choosing Ellijay.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moving to Georgia. Could someone give me input about Ellijay

We are moving up there in a few weeks. Both towns would be great for raising a family. The locals in both places are some of the nicest, considerate people I have ever encountered. I'm an Atlanta native and can't wait to get up there permanently. Ellijay is more laid back while Blue Ridge is more "touristy"..not a bad thing, just very different towns.

Georgia
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Moving to Georgia. Could someone give me input about Ellijay

We have a cabin between Ellijay and Blue Ridge. We are not full time but have been up there almost five years. Either town would be a good choice. Ellijay is not quite as busy as Blue Ridge but both are great places with great people. Hope you find what you are looking for!

Level Contributor
4 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Moving to Georgia. Could someone give me input about Ellijay

You are moving from NJ to GA. Best advice is get the kids to private schools. The school system here is not on par with many places especially the NE the teachers here make like 30k a year. However people are freindly in Ellijay and its considered more rural GA as compared to smaller towns closer to Atlanta.

Edited: 11 July 2015, 12:07
Ellijay, Georgia
Level Contributor
359 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Moving to Georgia. Could someone give me input about Ellijay

Sorry, wrong answer Paul. Don't know where some of you folks get your information. Most likely off of the internet I suppose. First year Georgia teachers come in at 33 grand a year with the average being 55 grand a year. The school system in Gilmer county is a great system. The parents are very involved and very active. I never realized that the salary of a teacher is why my kids did or did not get a good education.

9. Re: Moving to Georgia. Could someone give me input about Ellijay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 August 2016, 07:18
Get answers to your questions about Ellijay
More Ellijay Topics