We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling with kids: Sarasota or Naples after Orlando

Dragoer, Denmark
Level Contributor
60 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling with kids: Sarasota or Naples after Orlando

We are going to Florida in February 2010. We are staying in Orlando for a week and would like to go to Key West after that. On the way we have 4-5 days to spend on the west coast.

Should we choose Sarasota or Naples for a short break? We have boys age 8 and 5.

Thanks!

Birmingham, United...
Destination Expert
for Rhodes
Level Contributor
1,972 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Traveling with kids: Sarasota or Naples after Orlando

Don't expect to see great beaches in the Florida Keys as there are not many sandy beaches in the Keys. In my opinion the best sandt beach is in the lower keyas at the state park at Bahia Honda.

WE have been many times to the Keys and find it very different to other parts of Florida, but now we have children I do not feel it is worth the joutney when there are better resorts all down the Gulf coast.

Birmingham, United...
Destination Expert
for Rhodes
Level Contributor
1,972 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Traveling with kids: Sarasota or Naples after Orlando

Sorry, early post reposted with corrections:

Don't expect to see great beaches in the Florida Keys as there are not many sandy beaches in the Keys. In my opinion the best sandy beach is in the lower keys at the state park at Bahia Honda.

We have been many times to the Keys and find it very different to other parts of Florida, but now we have children I do not feel it is worth the journey when there are better resorts all down the Gulf coast.

Florida
Level Contributor
51 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Traveling with kids: Sarasota or Naples after Orlando

I would suggest you keep the FL Keys in your itenerary. You will enjoy the Sarasota beaches and the keys will be a different but great experience for your family.

There are still many things to do in key west to fill your day while avoiding the night scene - day trips, charters, dry tortugas, state parks up & down the keys, etc.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
48,405 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Traveling with kids: Sarasota or Naples after Orlando

On Marathon there is the Marathon Lady where you can get half day reef fishing trips with the kids. Price is good (a lot cheaper than a deep sea fishing trip), and the kids will have fun.

Florida
Level Contributor
1,016 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Traveling with kids: Sarasota or Naples after Orlando

We always stay at the Hampton Inn @ Islamorada. Outback right there and a wonderful restaurant right next door...it is a way to Key West but with little ones a day in Key West might be plenty.

sarasota, florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota
Level Contributor
1,875 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Traveling with kids: Sarasota or Naples after Orlando

okay.

orlando is worth 6 days with kids.

key west is a wild party place, its true, but we went there with our small children, and had a great time. we stayed for one or two nights half way down the keys, in islamorada at hawks cay, fun w/kids. they have condo like places to rent too. they have a dolphin swim there as well.

in key west, we went on a day trip on a catamaran, and went snorkeling, had lunch on board (they have half days too), there is a great pirate museum in key west. when we went there was a live pirate (looked JUST like jack sparrow) sitting on a chair near one of only a couple original jolly roger flags, posing for photos with visitors. you do different things with kids than you would without, thats all. there was a place we ate lunch that had turtles all around (live ones). its true not too beachy, but there are other ways to experience the water, and the island. there is a cool shipwreck museum too. i would not forgo the keys. it will also be warmer down there in february than in orlando or sarasota. how about 3 days at hawks cay resort, and 2 days in key west? ocean key resort is very nice, and has a dock, with wave runners to rent.

i already responded about sarasota....(in an earlier post).

New York
4 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Traveling with kids: Sarasota or Naples after Orlando

Sarasota is much more family friendly. Lots to do with the kids. Check out the GWiz and kayaking with Almost Heaven Kayak Adventures (www.kayakfl.com).

Dragoer, Denmark
Level Contributor
60 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Traveling with kids: Sarasota or Naples after Orlando

Thanks again for alle the amazing advices! We are planning our vacation with all of them in mind :o)

19. Re: Traveling with kids: Sarasota or Naples after Orlando

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 November 2009, 06:21