We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Red tide question

Bedfordshire...
Level Contributor
151 posts
4 reviews
Red tide question

Hi folks, I'm still trying to decide whether to take the risk and visit next July as red tide is putting me off. We will arrive there around 20th July and plan to stay for either 2 weeks or 1 week in Sarasota and the second week elsewhere. When did red tide arrive this year? I know from reading numerous articles and posts no-one knows when it will come/go but from your experience of living in the area does red tide happen as early as July or is it usually later in the year. Please be patience with your replies!

Also, if we do decide to visit would it be safer to book a rental slightly inland (as opposed to close to the beach) so we won't be affected by red tide? Thanks in advance.

11 replies to this topic
Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Venice, Siesta Key
Level Contributor
11,366 posts
180 reviews
1. Re: Red tide question

I am afraid no one can answer your question. It can come at any time or not at all.

If you are coming to enjoy the beaches, you would not want to stay further inland. It wouldn't be what you came here for.

This year's outbreak was much worse than I have ever seen.

Here is a website to keep track:

www.visitbeaches.org

You can monitor the Siesta Key forum.

July is part of hurricane season. It is also hot and humid here.

I wish I had better answers. No one can predict. Postpone your reservations until January 2019 or later, since it is a concern.

So sorry.

~SRQgirl

Edited: 19 November 2018, 17:34
Bedfordshire...
Level Contributor
151 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Red tide question

SRQgirl - thanks so much for taking the time to answer. I think we'll visit elsewhere. I'm so disappointed as we were really looking forward to coming to Sarasota.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
50,314 posts
22 reviews
3. Re: Red tide question

I was on siesta key the other week, there was no problm really.

I think determining now for next july is just silly.

Orlando
Level Contributor
12,169 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Red tide question

I agree.

Bedfordshire...
Level Contributor
151 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: Red tide question

How is it silly? We need to plan to a certain extent. We can't leave booking flights, accommodation and car hire until the week before we plan to travel just to be sure there is no red tide!

Velez Rubio
Level Contributor
2,756 posts
56 reviews
6. Re: Red tide question

Even if the Red Tide is present, there are loads of other things to do in the Sarasota area, so I wouldn't worry about it.

We are in Sarasota for the whole of February, and have never considered cancelling our trip.

Level Contributor
526 posts
1 review
7. Re: Red tide question

https:/…

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
39 posts
5 reviews
8. Re: Red tide question

I hope that scientist is correct !🌞

Level Contributor
526 posts
1 review
9. Re: Red tide question

The "scientist" at the Beach cafe thought the cooler weather was helping

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
50,314 posts
22 reviews
10. Re: Red tide question

"How is it silly? We need to plan to a certain extent. We can't leave booking flights, accommodation and car hire until the week before we plan to travel just to be sure there is no red tide!"

Easy. Book the flights and car hire. Leave accomodatiion until later.

I am booked for april already and am here in SW florida now.

Reply to: Red tide question
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted