We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Rec for Mother/Daughter visiting Ringling Museum

NYC
Level Contributor
140 posts
49 reviews
Hotel Rec for Mother/Daughter visiting Ringling Museum

Hi all - I'll be visiting Sarasota with my mother in early December (2 days first in St Petersburg) then down to Sarasota for 2 nights to visit the Ringling Museum. I've read a bit on hotels in Sarasota; at first I was looking at the Hyatt/Westin but have read a few things about having to cross a large road to get to where most restaurants are? I then read recs for Aloft & Ovation which are on the other side of that big road. I've also heard that we must visit St Armand cirlce if we have time. I'm just trying to figure out if it's really less convenient to be on the Hyatt side considering our time contratints etc (I've heard Rigling is a full day and we prob won't do much other than have dinner and retire afterward) Thanks in advance for any recs/info!

20 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
476 posts
1 review
1. Re: Hotel Rec for Mother/Daughter visiting Ringling Museum

Holiday Inn Lido Key. Walk to St Armands for dinner, stroll.

Level Contributor
476 posts
1 review
2. Re: Hotel Rec for Mother/Daughter visiting Ringling Museum

https:/…

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,971 posts
202 reviews
3. Re: Hotel Rec for Mother/Daughter visiting Ringling Museum

I'd also recommend staying on Lido Key - you'll be on the beach and within walking distance of St. Armand's Circle (and it will be nice and quiet). The big question is, are you renting a car, or depending on taxis/Ubers?

The hotels in Downtown Sarasota can be VERY high-priced (esp. during the time of year that you'll be there). The "big road" that you're referring to is Tamiami Trail aka US 42 ... it basically runs through the entire state of Florida! So, yes, it's a VERY busy road and NOT particularly pedestrian friendly in the areas where you'll be.

Also, the hotels that you mentioned are a bit of a hike to the Ringling Museum. The hotels that ARE within walking distance are not what I would call four-star (or even two-star!).

Again, I'd recommend Lido Key and taking an Uber/Lyft to the Ringling Museum.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
3,849 posts
137 reviews
4. Re: Hotel Rec for Mother/Daughter visiting Ringling Museum

Check out prices at the Ritz, they can fluctuate greatly, esp if you have AAA. They shuttle you every hour to the beach club and St. Armand’s circle. Downtown is a great area to stay, check out Art Ovation. It’s right in the middle of things.

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Venice, Siesta Key
Level Contributor
11,296 posts
179 reviews
5. Re: Hotel Rec for Mother/Daughter visiting Ringling Museum

I guess the question becomes, what are your interests?

The Ringling Museum is at the very north end of Sarasota. You will need a car to get around.

I have never spent a whole day there. There is also a very nice restaurant called Muse right there at the entrance. You will want to see the mansion, the art museums and the grounds. Not sure if you are interested in the Circus Museum.

www.ringling.org

If you want to spend time by the beach, then Lido Key is your best choice.

If you would rather go to boutiques, art galleries and good restaurants, I would stay at the Aloft, Ovatioin or the Hotel Ranola. All are located on the east side of US 41. Main Street, Palm Avenue etc. are nice areas to walk.

www.visitsarasota.com. Marie Selby Gardens is in walking distance and also worth a visit.

www.selby.org

Depends on what you are planning to see and do.

I can recommend many dining options...

~SRQgirl

NYC
Level Contributor
140 posts
49 reviews
6. Re: Hotel Rec for Mother/Daughter visiting Ringling Museum

Thank you all for your helpful responses! We will have a car of our own, we are driving from tne E Coast of FLA (or could choose to take Uber's and leave the car parked at hotel). I have looked at Aloft & Ovation and am considering both of those. Will take a look at the Ritz with AAA or Senior prices as well, thx for that tip! We are not going to be doing any beach on this trip, so the boutique/restauant/galleries is prob a better option (and uber or drive to check out St. Armand); I will take a look at hotels on Lido though in any case! Thanks again!

Level Contributor
476 posts
1 review
7. Re: Hotel Rec for Mother/Daughter visiting Ringling Museum

Just for info...the high end shopping is on St Armands not downtown. However there are a number of great restaurants downtown and on St Armands., the latter more walkable between them

The Westin is rather accessible. .one 4 lane to cross to downtown and lots of foot traffic.

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Venice, Siesta Key
Level Contributor
11,296 posts
179 reviews
8. Re: Hotel Rec for Mother/Daughter visiting Ringling Museum

Crossing US 41 is not an easy task..I try to avoid doing it at all.

Lots of traffic. The lights to cross do not give many people enough time to cross.

It is much easier and safer to stay on the opposite side of US 41.

There is plenty of high end shopping in the downtown area, if high end shopping is what you are looking for.

You can drive to St. Armands across the Ringling Bridge..not a long drive from the downtown.

Lots to see and do.

~SRQgirl

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
3,849 posts
137 reviews
9. Re: Hotel Rec for Mother/Daughter visiting Ringling Museum

The Embassy Suites should be open and that may be another alternative for you

NYC
Level Contributor
140 posts
49 reviews
10. Re: Hotel Rec for Mother/Daughter visiting Ringling Museum

SRQgirl - By opposite, do you mean what looks to be the Eastern side where Aloft & Ovation would be? I think whichever side you mean would be best, and yes, we could drive to St Armands if we can make it. We are primarily there to see the museum and a bit of Sarasota in general which could include a bit of shopping. Walking to restaurants would be nice!

Reply to: Hotel Rec for Mother/Daughter visiting Ringling Museum
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sarasota
Recent Conversations